[D66] Cyberpunk Phuturism: The Politics of Acceleration

RO jugg at ziggo.nl
Sun May 8 07:48:14 CEST 2022

/Presented to Anarchai group, Brasilia, Brazil (1 October 2012)/

Cyberpunk Phuturism:

The Politics of Acceleration

Benjamin Noys (2012)

There would seem to be no place for the modernist linear-dynamics of
progression and acceleration in the dispersed and slackened forms of
postmodernity. Whether futurists, capitalists, or communists, the
avant-garde ‘passion for the real’, to use Badiou’s term (Badiou 2007),
that tried to accelerate us to new human types seems quaint, kitsch, and
politically dubious. And yet the dream and reality of speed machines is
not merely the province of dubious nostalgia, to be found in the
remnants of ‘petrolhead’ macho excess, or in the fetishization of
contemporary military technologies. Acceleration, today, passes from the
car, the quintessential technology of mass speed and modernity, to the
computer. If the car, as Enda Duffy argues (2009), was the lived
experience of modernist time for many – a new mass aesthetic, when
modernism tended to the hermetic – then the computer plays that role
today. It is the computer, especially for those who work with them, that
embodies the ‘speed-up’ of labour, as each new model becomes faster and
faster (or that is the promise). The Internet provides the ‘one-click’
solution, computers speed-up and slim down, seemingly providing one of
the last utopian remnants worthy of any commodity fetishism; the very
frustration of a computer slowing down or freezing-up indexes our own
internalized demand for speed. The computer also now vectors the
alliance of speed and war, as the acceleration of computer processing
permits the rapidity of ‘fire-and-forget’ warfare, the drone attack, the
militarization of civilian space, and, in US-military jargon, the
‘compression of the kill chain’.

So, the integration of the man-machine does not simply disappear, but
mutates. Fredric Jameson remarks on:

the fact that there are no great utopian texts after the widespread
introduction of computers (the last being Ernest Callenbach’s /Ecotopia
/of 1975, where computers are not yet in service). Instead, we have the
freemarket deliria of cyberpunk, which assumes that capitalism is itself
a kind of utopia of difference and variety. (Jameson 2012: 125)

Undermining his own point, we could summarize that cyberpunk /is/the
utopia of capital and of acceleration. It is that ‘utopia’ I want to
explore, which is rather more durable and robust than Jameson’s off-hand
dismissal might suggest.

This new aesthetic can be thought of as the attempt to recapture the
energy of the classical avant-garde in the slackened time of
postmodernity. It is not simply the repetition of that avant-garde, but
a mutated and modulated futurism, which, in typical postmodern fashion,
straddles between genres, forms and cultural domains. This is what I
will call ‘Cyberpunk Phuturism’. Certainly ‘cyberpunk phuturism’ has an
anachronistic and kitsch ring. ‘Cyberpunk’ did not really recover from
Billy Idol’s album of that title, released in 1993. ‘Phuturism’ is my
adaptation via the Chicago Acid House practitioners Phuture, whose ‘Acid
Tracks’ (1989) has a claim to be the first Acid House record. That said,
perhaps the kitsch element, as we’ll see, reflects something of this
aesthetic.

My account of this ‘cyberpunk phuturism’ will be more impressionistic
than exhaustive, and more critical than celebratory. I will focus on
three moments: cyberpunk fiction, Detroit Techno, and their synthesis in
‘Cybertheory’. This critique, however, will not be the usual one of
disenchantment with the avant-garde and celebration of chastened
conformity to the ‘democratic’ protocols of the present. Rather, I aim
to probe the attraction of this aesthetic as a response to the mutations
and continuities of capitalism and, in particular, to the contemporary
moment of capitalist crisis. My contention is that this aesthetic is not
simply an historical curiosity but one that continues to exert a
gravitational pull on the present, one which is exacerbated in the
moment of a decelerating capitalism.

*Thrill & Threat of Dematerialization*

The Ur-text of cyberpunk phuturism is William Gibson’s
/Neuromancer/(1984), which is perhaps its most effective manifesto and
predictive of all its later mutant forms. /The/novel of ‘cyberpunk’
science-fiction, and to my mind the only successful work of this form
(along with its sequels), it tracks the new shifting forms of cybernetic
embodiment. The very technology of ‘jacking-in’ to cyberspace is rooted,
within the novel, in the frame of military technologies: ‘“The matrix
has its roots in primitive arcade games,” said the voice-over, “in early
graphics programs and military experimentation with cranial
jacks.”’(Gibson 1984) Also, the well-known description of ‘Night City’
as ‘a deranged experiment in social Darwinism, designed by a bored
researcher who kept one thumb permanently on the fast-forward button’
(Gibson 1984), prefigures the neoliberal future, and the compulsive
attachment to the speed that promises to break the shackles of social
confinement. The simile suggests, in the figure of the ‘bored
researcher’, that this deregulatory fantasy has more than an element of
(anti-)planning and direction, contrary to fantasies of the acephalic
market. While speed is the promise of the opening to a new
deterritorialized fluidity of social and virtual space – beyond the
Fordist social-compact and the ‘static’ segmentations of social
democracy – this is no blind process. The historical significance of
Gibson’s novel (leaving aside aesthetic judgements) lies in the fact
that it is poised between anxiety and endorsement, critical distance and
immersive /jouissance/, in its vision of cyberspace, augmentation and
the accelerative disembedding of social relations.

[...]

https://www.academia.edu/2197499/Cybernetic_Phuturism_The_Politics_of_Acceleration