[D66] Anti-technology

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Jul 29 14:40:47 CEST 2020

"Technology is "the knack of so arranging the world that we need not
experience it."' We are expected to deny what is living and natural
within us in order to acquiesce in the domination of non-human nature.
Technology has unmistakably become the great vehicle of reification. Not
forgetting that it is embedded in and embodies an ever-expanding, global
field of capital, reification subordinates us to our own objectified
creations. ("Things are in the saddle and ride mankind," observed
Emerson in the mid-19th century.) Nor is this a recent turn of events;
rather, it reflects the master code of culture, ab origino. The
separation from nature, and its ensuing pacification and manipulation,
make one ask, is the individual vanishing? Has culture itself set this
in motion? How has it come to pass that a formulation as reified as
"children are our most precious resource" does not seem repugnant to
everyone?"

--Zerzan, Running on emptiness, The pathology of civilisation