[D66] Anti-technology

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Jul 29 14:44:11 CEST 2020

"we resign ourselves to conception only for want of perception."

We are captives of so much that is not only instrumental, fodder for the
functioning of other manipulable things, but also ever more
simulated.  We  are  exiles  from  immediacy,  in  a  fading  and
flattening landscape where thought struggles to unlearn its alienated
condition-ing.  Merleau-Ponty  failed  in  his  quest,  but  at  least
aimed  at  finding  a primordial  ontology  of  vision  prior  to  the
split  between  subject  and object. It is division of labor and the
resulting conceptual forms of thought that   go   unchallenged,
delaying   discovery   of   reification   and   reified thought.I t   i
s ,   a f t e r   a l l ,   o u r   w h o l e   w a y   o f   k n o w i
n g   t h a t   h a s   b e e n   s o  deformed and diminished, and that
must be understood as such. "Intelligence" is now an externality to be
measured, equated to profi-ciency in manipulating symbols. Philosophy
has become the highly elaborate rationalization of reifications. And
even more generally, being itself is constituted as experience and
representation, as subject and object. These outcomes must be criticized
as fundamentally as possible.The active, living element in cognition
must be uncovered, beneath the reifications that mask it. Cognition,
despite contemporary ortho-doxy, is not computation. The philosopher
Ryle glimpsed that a form of knowledge that does not rely on symbolic
representation might be the basic one.' Our notions of reality are the
products of an artificially constructed symbol system, whose components
have hardened into reifications or objectifications over time, as
division of labor coalesced into domination of nature and domestication
of the individual.Thought capable of producing culture and civilization
is distanc-ing, non-sensuous. It abstracts from the subject and becomes
an inde-pendent object. It's telling that sensations are much more
resistant to reification than are mental images. Platonic discourse is a
prime example of thinking that proceeds at the expense of the senses, in
its radical split between perceptions and conceptions. Adorno draws
attention to the healthier variant by his observation that in Walter
Benjamin's writings "thought presses close to the object, as if through
touching, smelling, tasting, it wanted to transform itself."' And Le Roy
is probably very close to the mark with "we resign ourselves to
conception only for want of perception."' Historically determined in the
deepest sense, the reification aspect of thought is a further cognitive
"fall from grace"