Weg met het paternalisme! (was: Re: Niet Wijken Voor Terreur????)

Henk Elegeert hmje at HOME.NL
Wed Mar 17 07:43:13 CET 2004

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Herman Beun wrote:
> REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl
>
> Erik van den Muijzenberg schreef:
>
>>Wat ik in dit op zichzelf overzichtelijke betoog mis, is de mening van
>>het Irakese volk. Ik zou daarom zeggen: hou een referendum.
>
> Wel, de informatie-voorziening lijkt bij zo'n referendum misschien niet
> het voornaamste probleem: de vraag is simpel genoeg, zelfs als je je
> realiseert dat dan onduidelijk blijft wie het na een 'nee' eventueel van
> zo'n buitenlandse macht zou moeten overnemen.
>
> Grappig genoeg is zelfs al onderzocht hoe de Iraqis over (ongeveer) dit
> onderwerp denken:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/15_03_04_iraqsurvey.pdf
>
> Verrassende antwoorden soms: over de vraag of de VS-aanval goed is
> geweest of niet is de verdeling ongeveer fifty fifty - zeker niet
> uitgesproken negatief. Verder vindt een duidelijke meerderheid dat zijn
> leven beter is dan voor de inval een jaar geleden, en verwacht eveneens
> een duidelijke meerderheid het over een jaar beter te hebben.
>
> Wel valt op dat openbare veiligheid veruit het belangrijkste probleem is
> volgens de ondervraagden, met herstel van de infrastructuur en de
> economie op de tweede en derde plaats. Constitutionele vragen komen
> daarna pas in zicht. Een hele duidelijke Maslow-piramide dus.
>
> Verder vraag ik me wel af hoe je bepaalt wat een meerderheid zou zijn in
> zo'n referendum. "Het" Iraakse volk lijkt me gezien het onderlinge
> gekrakeel alvast een niet-bestaande entiteit, dus een eenvoudige 50%
> meerderheid is niet voldoende. En dan kom je toch weer in
> constitutioneel gedoe terecht.
>
> Misschien dus toch maar eerst de openbare orde herstellen met behulp van
> een VN-vredesmacht, en de electriciteits- en watervoorziening eens goed
> op gang brengen. Daarna pas een referendum over de verdere prioriteiten.

Ook daar zul je de Irakies bij nodig hebben.

"
UN READY FOR POSSIBLE ROLE IN IRAQ IF ITS LEADERS SEEK HELP,
BRAHIMI SAYS

New York, Mar 16 2004  6:00PM

The United Nations remains ready to help Iraq in any
capacity should the country's leaders ask, but is still
waiting for an indication from them on what kind of UN
assistance would be required, particularly on political
matters, a senior UN adviser said today.

"The UN was not looking for a job, not begging for a role in
Iraq, but if the Iraqis wanted it, whatever capabilities the
United Nations had were at their disposal," Lakhdar Brahimi,
Secretary-General Kofi Annan's Special Adviser, said at a
<"http://www.un.org/News/briefings/docs/2004/Brahimi.brf.doc.htm">press
briefing at UN Headquarters in New York.

Earlier Tuesday, the Secretary-General himself
<"http://www.un.org/apps/sg/offthecuff.asp?nid=560">voiced
this view. "I have made it clear that we are prepared to go
back and assist should [Iraq's leaders] want us to do so,
and I am waiting for them to let us know," he told reporters
upon arriving at UN Headquarters. "We are ready to go back.
We are waiting for the signal and the team will go back. It
is not excluded."

In December, Mr. Annan received a letter from the President
of the Governing Council asking the UN to explore whether
elections could take place in Iraq before the return of
sovereignty at the end of June and, if not, what
alternatives existed. During meetings in January, the
Governing Council and the Coalition Provisional Authority
(CPA) asked the UN to pursue the matter.

Mr. Brahimi subsequently led a team to Iraq which found an
emerging consensus among the country's people that credible
and acceptable elections would not be possible before June.
In his comments to the press today, the envoy noted that
while no alternative course of action had yet been chosen,
Iraqis now had time to discuss what administration would
receive sovereignty at the end of June.

He added that if the Iraqis wanted the UN to continue to
provide support, help and advice on how to proceed in
finding, again, a consensus among Iraqis leading to the
formation of a government or administration before 30 June,
the world body was "willing and able, if asked, if required,
to help with the preparation of the elections."

Responding to reporters' questions, Mr. Brahimi said a lot
of Iraqis did want the UN to return. While there had been
press reports indicating that Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani
was objecting to UN involvement, the Secretary-General had
received a message a few days ago directly from the
Ayatollah saying that he had had nothing to do with those
articles and that, indeed, he wanted the UN to continue to
play a role. Now, the Organization was "waiting for the CPA
and the Governing Council to tell us if the UN was required
to play a role, and we will take it from there," Mr. Brahimi
said.
"

Henk Elegeert

Aanmelden: stuur een email naar LISTSERV at nic.surfnet.nl met in het tekstveld alleen: SUBSCRIBE D66