Nederland geeft invloed in ECB prijs

Cees Binkhorst cees at BINKHORST.XS4ALL.NL
Wed Feb 19 20:20:28 CET 2003

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Mark Koek <mark at koek.net> schreef:
> Europa zou eens op moeten houden met dit soort kinderachtige koehandel; zeker
> het bestuur van een Centrale Bank hoort onafhankelijk te zijn en niet te bestaan
> uit nationale vertegenwoordigers.

En denk je ook dat dat binnen afzienbare tijd zo zal zijn?
Tot die tijd denk ik dat we re-eel moeten zijn en zorgen voor ons
eigen direkte belang. Doen _alle_ andere landen ook!

> De ECB moet handelen in het belang van de economie van het hele euro-gebied, en
> niet verworden tot een strijdtoneel voor kortzichtig nationaal egoïsme.

Helemaal met je eens.
Maar dat zal zeker een aantal generaties van langzaam naar elkaar
toegroeien duren. En in die tijd voortdurend zorgen dat de belangen
zoveel mogelijk in dezelfde richting lopen.

Hoe lang heeft Amerika er over gedaan? Toch zeker 150 jaar?

http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/
1783 Treaty of Paris acknowledged the independence, freedom and
sovereignty of the 13 former colonies.
1789 George Washington was unanimously chosen president and The
Constitution adopted (The people who were empowered by the
Constitution to elect and control their central government were of
widely differing origins, beliefs and interests. Most had come from
England, but Sweden, Norway, France, Holland, Prussia, Poland and
many other countries also sent immigrants to the New World. Their
religious beliefs were varied and in most cases strongly held. There
were Anglicans, Roman Catholics, Calvinists, Huguenots, Lutherans,
Quakers, Jews, agnostics and atheists. Economically and socially, the
Americans ranged from the landed aristocracy to slaves from Africa
and indentured servants working off debts. But the backbone of the
country was the middle class -- farmers, tradesmen, mechanics,
sailors, shipwrights, weavers, carpenters and a host of others).
1812 The United States declared war on Britain in a desire to conquer
Canada, coupled with deep resentment over impressment of sailors.
1850 Religious revival spread westward first half of the 19th century
1850 The Compromise: California admitted as a state with a free-soil
(slavery-prohibited) constitution; territories of New Mexico and Utah
organized without mention of slavery; the buying and selling of
slaves (but not slavery) abolished in the District of Columbia.
1852 Harriet Beecher Stowe published Uncle Tom's Cabin, a novel
provoked by the passage of the Fugitive Slave Law.
1854 The Kansas-Nebraska Act passed the Senate amid the boom of
cannon fired by Southern enthusiasts.
1854 Abraham Lincoln declared that all national legislation should be
framed on the principle that slavery was to be restricted and
eventually abolished.
1861 Seven Southern states seceded from the 'United States of
America.' In response to the shelling of Fort Sumter, Virginia
seceded and Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina followed quickly.
Twenty-three states with a population of 22 million were arrayed
against 11 states inhabited by 9 million.
1865 On April 9  surrounded by huge Union armies, Lee surrendered to
Grant at Appomattox Courthouse. Although scattered fighting continued
elsewhere for several months, the Civil War was over.
1866 Congress passed a 14th Amendment to the Constitution, which
states that "All persons born or naturalized in the United States and
subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United
States and of the states in which they reside," thus repudiating the
Dred Scott ruling which had denied slaves their right of citizenship.
1873 The Supreme Court found that the Fourteenth Amendment
(citizenship rights not to be abridged) conferred no new privileges
or immunities to protect African Americans from state power. In 1883,
furthermore, it ruled that the Fourteenth Amendment did not prevent
individuals, as opposed to states, from practicing discrimination.
And in Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) the Court found that "separate but
equal" public accommodations for African Americans, such as trains
and restaurants, did not violate their rights.
1914 Between two great wars -- the Civil War and the First World War -
- the United States of America came of age. In a period of less than
50 years it was transformed from a rural republic to an urban state.
1918 On the eve of Allied victory, a U.S. army of over 1,750,000
soldiers had been deployed in France.
1947 Jackie Robinson dramatized the racial question when he broke
baseball's color line and began playing in the major leagues.
1948 When Southern Democrats, angry about a stronger civil rights
stance, left the party, Truman issued an executive order barring
discrimination in federal employment, ordered equal treatment in the
armed forces and appointed a committee to work toward an end to
military segregation. The last military restrictions ended during the
Korean War. Blacks in the South enjoyed few, if any, civil and
political rights. More than 1 million black soldiers fought in World
War II, but those who came from the South could not vote. Blacks who
tried to register faced the likelihood of beatings, loss of job, loss
of credit or eviction from their land. Lynchings still occurred, and
Jim Crow laws enforced segregation of the races in street cars,
trains, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, recreational facilities and
employment.
1954 Blacks achieved their goal of overturning Plessy when the
Supreme Court -- presided over by an Eisenhower appointee, Chief
Justice Earl Warren -- handed down its Brown v. Board of Education
ruling. The Court declared unanimously that "separate facilities
are inherently unequal," and decreed that the "separate but equal"
doctrine could no longer be used in public schools. A year later, the
Supreme Court demanded that local school boards move "with all
deliberate speed" to implement the decision.

Over het laatste wordt overigens (in omgekeerde zin) nog steeds
getwijfeld:
The University of Michigan, in briefs filed today (Oct. 29 2002) with
the Supreme Court of the United States, urged the Court not to
overturn its historic 1978 Bakke decision allowing the consideration
of race in university admissions.
The U-M is responding to petitions filed by the Center for Individual
Rights (CIR) asking the Supreme Court to overrule victories by the
University in the Law School case (Grutter) and undergraduate
admissions case (Gratz), as well as a separate petition filed by
minority
student intervenors in Gratz. Previously, U-M’s current admissions
policies were upheld by the full Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in
Grutter and by the Federal District Court in Gratz.
“We’re urging the Court not to turn back the clock on our ability to
assemble a diverse student body,” says U-M President Mary Sue
Coleman. “Universities have relied upon this important Supreme Court
precedent for a quarter of a century. A decision reversing Bakke
would severely impoverish our higher education system.”

Als je de tekst bij het jaartal 1789 bekijkt doet Europa eigenlijk
heel Amerika nog een keer over, alleen 200 jaar later :).

> Mark

Groet,

Cees

Bush volgt dus de lijn die is uitgezet door Washington :).
http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/H/1994/ch4_p7.htm
Finally, in his Farewell Address, Washington warned the nation to
"steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign
world." This advice influenced American attitudes toward the rest of
the world for generations to come.

Aanmelden: stuur een email naar LISTSERV at nic.surfnet.nl met in het tekstveld alleen: SUBSCRIBE D66