[D66] Proefschrift Van Aalst, klimaatprofessor KNMI

Dr. Marc-Alexander Fluks fluks at combidom.com
Thu Oct 12 11:46:59 CEST 2023

[Van de week presenteerde Maarten van Aalst een KNMI-rapport over
klimaatscenario's in Nederland. Even gekeken naar wie hij is...
Hieronder bla bla uit diens proefschrift]

Bron:  Universiteit Utrecht
Datum: 20 januari 2005
        https://dspace.library.uu.nl/bitstream/handle/1874/1483/full.pdf

Dynamics and Transport in the Stratosphere: Simulations with a General
Circulation Mode
Maarten Krispijn van Aalst
- Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research Utrecht, Utrecht
University
   E-mail: maarten.vanaalst at xs4all.nl

Summary

The middle atmosphere is strongly affected by two of the world's most
important environmental problems: global climate change and
stratospheric ozone depletion, caused by anthropogenic emissions of
greenhouse gases and chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), respectively. General
circulation models with coupled chemistry are a key tool to advance our
understanding of the complex interplay between dynamics, chemistry and
radiation in the middle atmosphere. A key problem of such models is that
they generate their own meteorology, and thus cannot be used for
comparisons with instantaneous measurements.

This thesis presents the first application of a simple data assimilation
method, Newtonian relaxation, to reproduce realistic synoptical
conditions in a state-of-the-art middle atmosphere general circulation
model, MA-ECHAM. By nudging the model's meteorology slightly towards
analyzed observations from a weather forecasting system (ECMWF), we have
simulated specific atmospheric processes during particular
meteorological episodes, such as the 1999/2000 Arctic winter.

The nudging technique is intended to interfere as little as possible
with the model's own dynamics. In fact, we found that we could even
limit the nudging to the troposphere, leaving the middle atmosphere
entirely free. In that setup, the model realistically reproduced many
aspects of the instantaneous meteorology of the middle atmosphere, such
as the unusually early major warming and breakup of the 2002 Antarctic
vortex. However, we found that this required careful interpolation of
the nudging data, and a correct choice of nudging parameters. We
obtained the best results when we first projected the nudging data onto
the model's normal modes so that we could filter out the (spurious) fast
components. In a four-year simulation, for which we also introduced an
additional nudging of the stratospheric quasi-biennial oscillation, we
found that the model reproduced much of the interannual variability
throughout the stratosphere, including the Antarctic temperature minima
crucial for polar ozone chemistry, but failed to capture the precise
timing and evolution of Arctic stratospheric warmings. We also
identified an important model deficiency regarding tracer transport in
the lower polar stratosphere.

The success of the runs with tropospheric nudging in simulating the
right stratospheric conditions, including the model capability to
forecast major stratospheric warming events, bodes well for the model's
representation of the dynamic coupling between the troposphere and the
stratosphere, an important element of realistic simulation of the future
climate of the middle atmosphere (which will partly depend on a changing
wave forcing from the troposphere). However, for some aspects of
stratospheric dynamics, such as the quasi-biennial oscillation, a higher
vertical resolution is required, which might also help to reduce some of
the transport problems identified in the lower polar vortex.

The nudging technique applied and developed in this thesis offers
excellent prospects for applications in coupled-chemistry simulations of
the middle atmosphere, including for the interpretation of instantaneous
measurements. In particular, it can be used to test and improve the new
MA-ECHAM5/MESSy/MECCA coupled chemistry climate model system, in
preparation for more reliable simulations of past and future climates.

--------
(c) 2005 Universiteit Utrecht