[D66] Filmvraag

René Oudeweg roudeweg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 18:51:06 CET 2023

IK heb hem al gevonden:

18+

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/minister-l-exercise-de-l-190342/

hollywoodreporter.com
<https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/minister-l-exercise-de-l-190342/>

  The Hollywood Reporter

Jordan Mintzer
~4 minutes

The Minister (L’Exercise de l’Etat): Cannes 2011 Review

CANNES — At once intriguing and dense, disjointed and overwrought, /The
Minister /(/L’Exercise de l’Etat/) reps a challenging second feature
from writer-director *Pierre Schoeller* (/Versailles/), and one that
doesn’t quite get all its ducks in a row. Anchored by*Olivier Gourmet*’s
sharp performance as a French transports minister dealing with a
multitude of sticky issues and stress-inducing scenarios, this episodic
political yarn will tally up votes in Francophone territories, with a
solid TV showing.

“Politics is a wound that never heals,” declares Bertrand Saint-Jean
(Gourmet), a fast-acting, forever on the move policy machine who never
lets down his guard – or his Blackberry – as he’s shuffled from one
five-minute meeting to another. With the help of his PR maven, Pauline
(*Zabou Breitman*), and top-notch private secretary, Gilles (*Michel
Blanc*), Saint-Jean maneuvers his way through the complex inner workings
of the French bureaucracy, sticking to his guns when he can, but
capitulating when the powers-that-be decide otherwise.

Kicking off with a surreal dream sequence that shows a naked woman
crawling into the mouth of a crocodile (the symbolism is rather obvious
given what comes after), the story then shifts to a brutal bus accident
site where Saint-Jean gives a pro-forma speech, before he heads back
Paris to deal with a plethora of issues affecting his Ministry of
Transportation. Among the many plot lines – which are tough to follow
given how quickly the shifting narrative jumps between them –
Saint-Jean’s trickiest beast is a controversial privatization of
France’s train stations, a plan he’s fundamentally opposed to despite
the government’s favoring of the reform.

Dardenne Bros. (credited as producers) regular Gourmet offers up his
usual frenzied, sweatbucket antics, adding nuance to a character who
exists more as a reaction to surrounding forces than as a distinct
personality. As he faces an army of cabinet enemies and tries to keep
his office afloat, Saint-Jean barely has time to stop and think – or see
his family, beyond a run-and-gun sexual encounter with his wife (Arly
Jover) – and the same could be said for Schoeller’s vision, which dishes
out tons of ideas without ever holding onto one long enough to provide
substantial dramatic pull.

As a trusty (but not too trusty) right-hand man, Blanc (/The Girl on the
Train/) provides the film’s most solid supporting role, though his
relationship with Saint-Jean is often too ambiguous to pin down, turning
their third-act conflict into yet another subplot to be dealt with.

Gripping widescreen shooting by ace DP *Julien Hirsch* (/Unforgivable/)
balances out the multitude of locations and settings, while a dissonant
score by*Philippe Schoeller *(the director’s brother) is meant to
reflect Saint-Jean’s frenetic state of mind.

/Venue: Cannes Film Festival
<https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t/cannes-film-festival/> (Un Certain
Regard)
Sales: Doc & Film International
<https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t/international/>
Production companies: Archipel 35, Les Films du Fleuve, France 3 Cinema,
RTBF (Télévision Belge), Belgacom
Cast: Olivier Gourmet, Michel Blanc, Zabou Breitman, Laurent Stocker,
Sylvain Deblé, Eric Naggar, Arly Jover, Anne Azoulay
Director-screenwriter: Pierre Schoeller
Producers: Denis Freyd, Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne
Director of photography: Julien Hirsch
Production designer: Jean Marc Tran Tan Ba
Costume designer: Pascaline Chavanne
Editor: Laurence Briaud
Music: Philippe Schoeller
No rating, 113 minutes/