[D66] AI: 'The Loop'

René Oudeweg roudeweg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 21:05:18 CEST 2023

jacobward.com <https://jacobward.com/theloop/>

  The Loop

3–4 minutes
<https://www.amazon.com/Loop-Technology-Creating-Without-Choices/dp/0316487201/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=jacob+ward+the+loop&qid=1633805026&sr=8-1>

          “The Loop /is a strong entry in the canon…AI //represents
          perhaps the ultimate shiny object. But Ward penetrates to the
          dark vacancy at its core.”/ – San Francisco Chronicle
          <https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/books/review-tech-writers-stark-warning-of-how-ai-is-stripping-our-ability-to-make-decisions>

          “The best book I have ever read about AI.” – Roger McNamee,
          New York Times bestselling author of /Zucked/

A robot mediator for divorced couples. Software that tells police where
to look for crime before it happens. Algorithms that finish half-written
symphonies. Artificial intelligence is beginning to pick up patterns in
our behavior that we’re not even conscious of, and as companies use it
to reflect our unconscious selves back at us, we may not like what we’re
about to become. In /The Loop: How Technology is Creating a World
without Choices and How to Fight Back,/ NBC News technology
correspondent Jacob Ward melds the latest behavioral science with
reporting from the frontiers of machine learning and activism to write
what reviewers are calling “fascinating and unsettling,” and “a
brilliant look at how A.I. turned to the dark side.”

Here’s my recent discussion about the book with DJ Patil at the
Commonwealth Club:

https://youtu.be/c9bjDDYpVA4