[D66] When were the Julian calendar and the Gregorian calender equivalent?

René Oudeweg roudeweg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 07:02:21 CEST 2023

ChatGPT:

I apologize for the confusion earlier. _The Gregorian and Julian
calendars were never fully equivalent because they have different leap
year rules_. However, for practical purposes, we can assume they were
equivalent for dates after October 4, 1582, when the Gregorian calendar
was introduced and days were skipped to bring it back in sync with the
solar year. Here's a Python program that calculates the Julian Day
Numbers (JDN) since October 4, 1582, assuming the Gregorian and Julian
calendars were equivalent from that date:

def is_leap_year(year):
     """Check if a year is a leap year"""
     if year % 4 == 0 and (year % 100 != 0 or year % 400 == 0):
         return True
     else:
         return False

def julian_day_number(year, month, day):
     """Calculate Julian Day Number (JDN)"""
     a = (14 - month) // 12
     y = year + 4800 - a
     m = month + 12 * a - 3
     jdn = day + ((153 * m + 2) // 5) + (365 * y) + (y // 4) - (y //
100) + (y // 400) - 32045
     return jdn

def count_julian_day_numbers_since_equivalent_date(year, month, day):
     """Count Julian Day Numbers (JDN) since October 4, 1582"""
     jdn_start = julian_day_number(1582, 10, 4)  # JDN for October 4, 1582
     jdn_end = julian_day_number(year, month, day)  # JDN for input date
     days_difference = jdn_end - jdn_start
     return days_difference

# Input date (year, month, day)
year = int(input("Enter year: "))
month = int(input("Enter month: "))
day = int(input("Enter day: "))

days_since_equivalent_date =
count_julian_day_numbers_since_equivalent_date(year, month, day)
print("Number of Julian Day Numbers (JDN) since October 4, 1582: ",
days_since_equivalent_date)