[D66] Nieuwe docu Werner Herzog

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Sat Nov 14 17:41:41 CET 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4X9fQsiAOQ

Critic’s Pick

  ‘Fireball: Visitors From Darker Worlds’ Review: It’s Raining Mysteries

Apocalyptic comets, complicated math, ancient rituals, eccentric
scientists: Werner Herzog and Clive Oppenheimer’s new documentary has it
all.

Glenn Kenny

By Glenn Kenny

  * Nov. 12, 2020

Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds
    NYT Critic's Pick
    Directed by Werner Herzog, Clive Oppenheimer
    Documentary
    1h 37m

Find Tickets

When you purchase a ticket for an independently reviewed film through
our site, we earn an affiliate commission.

This picture, “Fireball: Visitors From Darker Worlds,” is the third
Werner Herzog movie to come out in 2020. Yes, he directed it alongside
Clive Oppenheimer, but still. At age 78, Herzog’s productivity almost
recalls that of his long-gone colleague and compatriot Rainer Werner
Fassbinder, who had more feature films to his name than years lived when
he died in 1982 at age 37.

Herzog has to be at least reasonably good at self-care to maintain not
just his filmmaking pace but his globe-trotting. Like his most recent
release, “Nomad: In the Footsteps of Bruce Chatwin,” this movie was shot
around the world, including the Torres Strait Islands, Castel Gandolfo
in Italy, Antarctica, Arizona and Hawaii. But it’s his intellectual
curiosity and emotional availability that make his movies sing. This
film rests on the fact that Mother Earth is always being called on by
other worlds in the forms of comets, meteorites and asteroids — and it’s
about as transportive as documentaries get.

Oppenheimer is a volcanologist from the University of Cambridge who
first appeared in Herzog’s “Encounters at the End of the World,” a
spectacular Antarctica trip, in 2007. He was later in Herzog’s “Into the
Inferno,” in 2016, about, well, volcanoes. Cataclysmic fire has a
special place in Herzog’s filmography; his remarkable “Lessons of
Darkness” (1992) treated the burning oil fields of Kuwait, set ablaze by
Saddam Hussein, as an apocalyptic sci-fi scenario.

“Fireball” looks at fire coming from the sky. But it begins very much on
the ground, in Mérida, Mexico, at a celebration of the Day of the Dead.
Men with painted faces perform what Herzog describes as a “fireball
ritual,” derived from ancient Mayan culture; it “feels like a
re-enactment,” he says. The site where they dance is one where an
asteroid changed the topography millions of years ago.

Oppenheimer is the onscreen interviewer and explainer for much of the
movie. He shows places where meteorites affected both landscape and
culture. In the city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, for instance, a black
stone embedded in the Kaaba, the cube at the center of Islam’s holiest
mosque, is the subject of adulation; it is believed that the stone fell
from paradise to show Adam and Eve where to build a shrine, according to
Muslim tradition. Similarly, in Ensisheim, a commune in the Alsace
region of France, a meteorite that landed in 1492 was seen as “an email
from God,” Oppenheimer says.

The movie introduces us to fascinating people — among them a jazz
musician turned geological scientist and his research collaborator, who
survived cancer four times and dresses like Wyatt Earp. It also teems
with beautiful visuals illustrating mind-boggling mathematical concepts.
“It gets so complicated now, we are not going to torture you with
details,” Herzog drolly notes at one point.

And “Fireball” makes two very credible statements. One: that, hippie
rhetoric notwithstanding, you and I really are made of stardust. And
two: that a world-changing (as in probably obliterating) dark-world
visitor is sooner or later going to come this planet’s way. The
equanimity with which Herzog and Oppenheimer’s movie frames that
certainty is strangely comforting.

*Fireball: Visitors From Darker Worlds*
Not rated. Running time: 1 hour 37 minutes. Watch on Apple TV+.

    Editors’ Picks

      How Do You Know When Society Is About to Fall Apart?

      Old Dogs, New Research and the Secrets of Aging

      How ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ Started a New Debate About Sexism in Chess

        Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds

NYT Critic's Pick
Find Tickets

When you purchase a ticket for an independently reviewed film through
our site, we earn an affiliate commission.

Directors
    Werner Herzog, Clive Oppenheimer
Writer
    Werner Herzog
Stars
    Werner Herzog, Jan Braly Kihle, Jon Larsen, Clive Oppenheimer
Running Time
    1h 37m
Genre
    Documentary