[D66] What We Leave Behind

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Fri Jul 31 17:27:49 CEST 2020

bol.com | What We Leave Behind (ebook), Derrick Jensen ...

  What We Leave Behind

By Derrick Jensen
<https://www.scribd.com/author/233858763/Derrick-Jensen>and Aric McBay
<https://www.scribd.com/author/235436349/Aric-McBay>

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars3/5 (18 ratings)
715 pages9 hours

    Description

What We Leave Behind is a piercing, impassioned guide to living a truly
responsible life on earth. Human waste, once considered a gift to the
soil, has become toxic material that has broken the essential cycle of
decay and regeneration. Here, award-winning author Derrick Jensen and
activist Aric McBay weave historical analysis and devastatingly
beautiful prose to remind us that life—human and nonhuman—will not go on
unless we do everything we can to facilitate the most basic process on
earth, the root of sustainability: one being's waste must always become
another being’s food.

Publisher:
    Random House Publishing Group
Released:
    Jan 4, 2011
ISBN:
    9781583229897
Format:
    Book

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-58322-867-

  What We Leave Behind

*Derrick Jensen, Author, Aric McBay, Author* Seven Stories Press $24.95
(453p) ISBN 978-1-58322-867-8

	Tweet <http://twitter.com/share>
<https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-58322-867-8#>

Industrial civilization is incompatible with life.... Unless it's
stopped... it will kill every living being, begin environmental
activists Jensen (""A Language Older than Words"") and McBay (""Peak Oil
Survival""), introducing the recurring theme and thesis of this radical
report on the state of Earth and call to action. The book contrasts
natural systems of growth and decay, in which soil and life forms feed
each other, with industrial civilization: essentially a complicated way
of turning land into waste: garbage patches cover more than 40% of
oceans and multitudes of fish and birds are being killed by plastic
waste, now more abundant in the seas than phytoplankton. Jensen and
McBay trash sustainability stars like William McDonough, who designs
green buildings without questioning their unsustainable uses (truck
factories and airports); the authors argue that we value our culture
more than the planet that sustains it. The book is flawed by lapses into
rants and rages, but Jensen and McBay's message that we need to grow up
and put away the childish notion that we have the right to take whatever
we want from nonhumans is eminently reasonable. ""(Apr.)"" .
Reviewed on: /03/30/2009/
Release date: /04/01/2009/
Genre: Nonfiction