[D66] High Tech Holocaust (1989)

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Thu Jul 30 22:02:04 CEST 2020

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51OsPkcrWwL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-04-16-bk-2580-story.html

  Eco-Eschatology : HIGH TECH HOLOCAUST<i> by James Bellini (Sierra Club
  Books: $10.95, paper; 256 pp.; 0-87156-686-9) </i>

By Kirkpatrick Sale
April 16, 1989
12 AM
</i>

Straight out, I have to tell you I am an apocalyptic: I believe that
most of the life forms of the planet Earth, and the workings of the
planet itself, are seriously imperiled and may not survive the next two
or three decades.

That should put me solidly on the side of “High Tech Holocaust,” since
its somber conclusion--the next-to-last sentence of the book,
highlighted in 18-point type on the back cover--is that “if the scale of
the assault on our well-being is not reduced . . . then humanity will
itself become the species facing a slow, but inexorable, journey to
extinction.”

And, well, I suppose I /am / on its side, for the most part. This is the
sort of message that must be heard--and taken deeply, deeply to
heart--if there is any chance to avoid the holocaust.

And yet, I somehow doubt that a book like this, which is essentially a
catalogue of all the perils we know the industrial culture has unleashed
on our environment in recent decades, will really help anyone to hear
and heed that message. Not only is it depressing, as it moves from toxic
wastes to nuclear accidents to acid rain to poisoned foods to
contaminated waters, but its collection of horror stories and horror
statistics is eventually numbing to the point of insensibility.

I mean, you can open to any page and be overwhelmed by the awful lethal
ailments provided by our industrial age. Just at random--and I assure
you this is totally unplanned--I open to:

“Scientists drilling the Greenland icecap have discovered that lead
levels in the air we breathe have increased two thousand percent since
the start of the industrial revolution. . . . Lead too is a poison;
there is mounting proof that our brains and nervous systems are being
steadily eroded.”

“In practically every area of toxic pollution, mankind has reached a
cross-over point, beyond which the natural balance of the Earth’s
chemistry becomes seriously distorted.”

“All nuclear plants produce waste products . . . radioactive substances
. . . that are beyond the capacity of man to destroy. And so long as
they exist, these substances present a mortal danger.”

“After Chernobyl, we can now have no doubts about the inability of man
to control our nuclear technology.”

“Acid rain is destroying our forests, contaminating our water supplies,
changing our climate, eroding irreplaceable historic buildings and, we
are now discovering, causing the slow wasting of mankind through
corrosion of our own body chemistry.”

I suppose it is true that Bellini--a free-lance “forecaster” and adviser
to British TV projects--might well say that the only way to show people
how horrible the world has become is to pile up horror stories. And yet,
there is nothing really new here, nothing that is not derived from
rather well-known scientific or popular materials of the sort that have
become increasingly common since “Silent Spring"--with not much
perceivable alteration, either, in the conditions they condemn. (They
banned DDT, you will say; but “Silent Spring” was not about DDT but
chemicalization, which has increased sharply since 1962.) Having all
this information together in one place certainly serves some
encyclopedic purpose, but it is not really calculated to invite the
skeptical or uninformed, and it simply overwhelms the sympathetic.

There is another similar danger, too, to this book, and it has to do
with its doomsday tone that “we have five years to make the choice”
between “a cleaner, safer world” and extinction. As an apocalyptic, you
understand, I can’t exactly disagree--but nowhere is this proven, or
even addressed in fact, nowhere is there any justification for such a
time-line. It is simply not convincing, certainly not to the
unconverted, and it is the sort of wolf-is-coming exaggeration that has
served in the past to discredit ecological critics. And it may also be
quite off-putting even to the receptive reader, since it is fair to say
that the chances of our achieving radical environmental changes in the
next five years are remote in the extreme.

Which brings me to what I regret to describe as the fundamental flaw of
this book: its failure to identify the root cause of our eco-crises and
thus to have any intelligent suggestions for any real remedies. Bellini
does, from time to occasional time, put forth “a devil called industry”
and “the high-tech age.” But he is really quite placid about it, quite
happy with its “wonder drugs” and “skyscraper cities,” and all he really
seems to worry about (though I must say this is not dealt with very
clearly) is its scale and its secrecy, and all he can think of by way of
remedy is for industry “to establish a climate of open business” so as
to become “more accountable” (ditto) and for the public to have a “more
acute recognition of the biochemical threat that confronts us” (ditto).
Puerile pap, that--thin gruel for an apocalyptic menu.

The culprit, and how desperately we need to come to realize it, is
nothing less than modern Western culture and its
attitudes--exploitative, utilitarian, hostile, competitive,
self-aggrandizing--toward the Earth. Bellini is quite wrong to think
that this culture simply reflects “man’s insatiable desire to
manufacture” and that the search for “ways to conquer nature” is a basic
and unchangeable characteristic of the human animal. *_It is precisely
in its alienation from nature, its desire to “conquer” it, that this
culture differs so starkly from those healthy cultures of the past
(including those first on this continent) that sought harmony with, not
dominance over, the precious systems of the living Earth, and for whom
its creatures and its habitats were sacred. It is precisely among such
non-industrial cultures, if anywhere, that we may find the wisdoms that
will help us avoid our eco-catastrophe._*

This American edition is taken directly from British proofs complete
with British spellings, phrases, punctuation, tone, and often, focus.
Its notes are woefully thin and its index non-existent.