[D66] Digital Romanticism in the Age of Neo-Luddism

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Jul 29 21:00:41 CEST 2020

https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/ron/2006-n41-42-ron1276/013152ar/

I. The Rossetti Archive, the Blake Archive, and Romantic Circles as Case
Studies: The Transformation and Future of Romantic Scholarship

  Digital Romanticism in the Age of Neo-Luddism: the Romantic Circles
  Experiment

  * Steven E. Jones

…more information

  *

    *Steven E. Jones*
    Loyola University Chicago

Logo for Romanticism on the Net
<https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/ron/2006-n41-42-ron1276/>

Online publication: July 4, 2006

URI
    https://id.erudit.org/iderudit/013152ar CopiedAn error has occurred
    <https://id.erudit.org/iderudit/013152ar>
DOI
    https://doi.org/10.7202/013152ar <https://doi.org/10.7202/013152ar>

      Abstract

Abstract

The Romantic Circles Website, along with a number of other major
projects in digital Romanticism, came online around 1995, a historical
moment that also saw the emergence of neo-Luddism, in part as a reaction
to the techno-hype of the Internet boom. At the time. neo-Luddites often
claimed as a precedent the original historical Luddism of 1811-16, but
they usually also Romanticized that collective labor subculture to fit
their own late-twentieth-century ideas of “technology.” This essay looks
back at the interlinked assumptions in the air around 1995–neo-Luddite
and Romantic–as the context out of which Romantic Circles defined its
own engaged experiment in technology. Iw ill cite specific examples of
digital technologies from our first year (two editions about technology,
including the technology of texts), and one from our most recent year
(an experiment in podcasting), in order to explain how we at Romantic
Circles have attempted to work at the crossroads of Romanticism and
technology, while stubbornly refusing to play the role of "natural
Luddites,"

    Article body

    Another expression of a Luddistic kind, also contemporary with the
    Luddites, was Romanticism, beginning with Blake and Wordsworth and
    Byron particularly, who like the machine breakers were repulsed by
    the Satanic mills and getting-and-spending of the present and like
    them were mindful of the ruined paradise of the past.

    —- Kirkpatrick Sale (1995)

    Intellectuals and romantics like the poets Blake, Byron, Shelley and
    Wordsworth picked up that anti-technology theme, but identified with
    its other side. In the “dark Satanic mills” of industry, they saw
    the human spirit being stifled . . . .

    —- William Safire (1998)

The Romantic Circles Website, along with a number of other major
projects in digital Romanticism, came online around 1995, at the same
historical moment when neo-Luddism emerged as a cultural phenomenon.
This essay looks back at the interlinked assumptions in the air around
1995–neo-Luddite and Romantic–as the context out of which Romantic
Circles defined its own engaged experiment in technology. I will cite
specific examples of digital technologies from our first year (two
editions about technology, including the technology of texts), and one
from our most recent year (an experiment in podcasting), in order to
explain how we at Romantic Circles have attempted to work at the
crossroads of Romanticism and technology, while stubbornly refusing to
play the role of what C. P. Snow called "natural Luddites" (22).

By now the association of Romanticism with the Luddites and, in turn,
with the Luddites’ presumed anti-technology philosophy is widespread in
popular culture. It also persists among some literary academics. My
opening quotations above could have been multiplied indefinitely, but
these two, from the most influential neo-Luddite writer of the 1990s and
from a popular newspaper columnist, together exemplify the moment around
1995 when technology “futures” (in every sense of the word) were at a
peak, and when, in reaction, a neo-Luddite “movement” briefly arose and
was reported on by the media.[1]
<https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/ron/2006-n41-42-ron1276/013152ar/#no1>
What often went unnoticed at the time was how much this conflict between
technology and its discontents depended on established clichés about
Romanticism. Their politics may be very different but Kirkpatrick Sale
and William Safire share the fundamental literary-historical assumption
that the Romantics were “natural Luddites.” Romanticism, full of
mindfulness, nostalgia and the transcendence of “the human spirit,” is
on one side of the assumed opposition; the Satanic Mills of industry,
consumerism, and technology are on the other.

[...]