[D66] Anti-technology

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Jul 29 15:09:36 CEST 2020

Now the question is, why did they ever take up agriculture? Which is
really the question of why did they ever take up civilization? Why did
they ever start our division-of-labor-based technology? If we once had a
technology, if you want to call it that, based on pretty much zero
division of labor, for me that has pretty amazing implications and makes
me think that somehow it's possible to get back there in some way or
another. We might be able to reconnect to a higher condition, one that
sounds to me like a state of nearness to reality, of wholeness.I'm
getting pretty close to the end here. I want to mention Hei-degger.
Heidegger, of course, is thought of by many as one of the deepest or
most original thinkers of the century. He felt that technology is the
end of philosophy, and that's based on his view that as technology
encompasses more and more of society, everything becomes grist for it
and grist for production, even thinking. It loses its separateness, its
quality of being apart from that. His point is worth mentioning just in
passing.And now I get to one of my favorite topics, postmodernism, which
I think is exactly what Heidegger would have had in mind if he had stuck
around long enough to see it. I think that here we have a rather
complete abdication of reason with postmodernism in so many ways, and
it's so pervasive, and so many people don't seem to know what it is.
Though we are completely immersed in it, few even now seem to have a
grasp of it. Perhaps this, in its way, is similar to the other
banalities I referred to earlier. Namely, that which has overpowered
what is alien to it is simply accepted and rarely analyzed.So I started
having to do some homework, and I've done some writing on it since, and
one of the fundamental things—and sorry, for people who already know
this—comes from Lyotard in the '70s, in a book called The Postmodern
Condition. He held that postmodernism is fundamentally "antipathy to
meta-narratives,"meaning it's a refusal of totality, of the overview, of
the arrogant idea that we can have a grasp of the whole. It's based on
the idea that the totality is totalitarian. To try to think that you can
get some sense of the whole thing, that's no g o o d .   A n d   I   t h
i n k   a   l o t   o f   i t ,   b y   t h e   w a y ,   i s   a   r e
a c t i o n   a g a i n s t  Marxism, which held sway for so long in
France among the intelli-gentsia; I think there was an overreaction
because of that.So you have an anti-totality outlook and an
anti-coherence outlook, even, because that too is suspect and even
thought to be a nasty thing. After all, and here's the one thing in
which he probably concurred with Horkheimer and Adorno, what has
Enlightenment thinking brought us? What has modernist, overview,
totality-oriented thinking got us? Well, you know, Auschwitz, Hiroshima,
neutron bombs. You don't have to defend those things, though, to get a
sense that maybe postmodernism is throwing everything away and has no
defenses against, for one thing, an onrushing technology.