[D66] Anti-technology

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Jul 29 14:55:38 CEST 2020

Bringing this condition of life into focus has proven elusive at best.
Levi-Strauss began his anthropological work with such a quest in mind:
"I had been looking for a society reduced to its simplest expression.
That of the Nambikwara was so truly simple that all I could find was
human beings."" In other words, he was really still looking for symbolic
culture, and seemed ill-equipped to ponder the meaning of its absence.
Herbert Marcuse wanted human history to conform to nature as a
subject-object harmony, but he knew that "history is the negation of
nature."21 The postmodern outlook positively celebrates the reifying
presence of history and culture by denying the possibility that a
pre-objectificational state ever existed. Having surrendered to
representation—and every other basic given of past, present, and future
barrenness—the postmodernists could scarcely be expected to explore the
genesis of reification.If  not  the  original  reification,  language
is  the  most  consequential, as  cornerstone  of  representational
culture.  Language  is  the  reification of  communication,  a
paradigmatic  move  that  establishes  every  other mental  separation.
The  philosopher  W.V.  Quine's  variation  on  this  is that
reification arrives with the pronoun.""In the beginning was the Word . .
. " the beginning of all this, which is killing us by limiting existence
to many things. Corollary of symbolization, reification is a sclerosis
that chokes off what is living, open, natural. In place of being stands
the symbol. If it is impossible for us to coincide with our being,
Sartre argues in Being and Nothingness, then the symbolic is the measure
of that non-coincidence. Reification seals the deal, and language is its
universal currency.