[D66] The Breathtaking Beauty Of Mexico’s Indigenous Communities

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Mon Jul 27 11:32:07 CEST 2020

  Photographer Captures The Breathtaking Beauty Of Mexico’s Indigenous
  Communities

By
Carolina Moreno
huffpost.com
2 min
View Original
<https://getpocket.com/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffpost.com%2Fentry%2Fphotographer-captures-the-breathtaking-beauty-of-mexicos-indigenous-communities_n_5704038ce4b0a06d5807300d%3Fguccounter%3D1%26guce_referrer%3DaHR0cHM6Ly9ubC5waW50ZXJlc3QuY29tL3Bpbi8zNDU2NTEzNDAxMzI1MDc4Mzkv%26guce_referrer_sig%3DAQAAAJY4c7dqnyBI-0Q2VKS7uM3Qxa9cp8prQRHXqyL08LhNmW4afUunD2iRyhU8DbRvOj7WCXQR9UhB2rXHO4gmsuZdzCf4YYswP12C5pIgnnn7c7qWnHNjov4DaRacK9dNo8SBU_RsELiWgmBa3BqmVsGPf6k_X4P_t1ZySJuingO6>

Diego Huerta's goal is to document all of the indigenous groups in the
country.
Tehuana women wearing their traditional headdress. The Tehuana-style of
clothes was popularized by Mexican icon Frida Kahlo. Tehuana women
wearing their traditional headdress. The Tehuana-style of clothes was
popularized by Mexican icon Frida Kahlo.

Diego Huerta Tehuana women wearing their traditional headdress. The
Tehuana-style of clothes was popularized by Mexican icon Frida Kahlo.

  *

  *

  *

  *

  *

"Oaxaca was something that had to happen, it was something that I didn’t
look for. It simply occurred."

That's how photographer Diego Huerta
<https://www.instagram.com/diegohuertaphoto/> describes his work in the
southern Mexican state, where he has diligently traveled to for the past
four years to document its indigenous communities with breathtaking
portraits.

The 30-year-old Mexican photographer began working on this project,
titled "Inside Oaxaca," after traveling to Oaxaca and inadvertently
witnessing the Guelaguetza
<https://www.flickr.com/groups/guelaguetza/pool/>, its biggest annual
celebration and parade that features traditional dances and customs from
the States' eight regions.

"I was struck by all the colors and by the faces of the various
delegations, and I wanted to know where they came from," Huerta told The
Huffington Post via e-mail. "It was at that moment that I knew I had to
go to their place of origin to know more about their traditions and
customs and document them via my portraits."

Huerta says this photo of a Tehuana woman and a dog is one of his
favorites. "We traveled about 8 kilometers on a dirt road that took us
to the sea, when we finally arrived we walked toward some sand dunes I
saw in the distance. On the way there a dog began following us," he
said. "As soon as we stopped the dog got close to her and laid down next
to her, finding the shade she made with the sun." Huerta says this photo
of a Tehuana woman and a dog is one of his favorites. "We traveled about
8 kilometers on a dirt road that took us to the sea, when we finally
arrived we walked toward some sand dunes I saw in the distance. On the
way there a dog began following us," he said. "As soon as we stopped the
dog got close to her and laid down next to her, finding the shade she
made with the sun."

Diego Huerta Huerta says this photo of a Tehuana woman and a dog is one
of his favorites. "We traveled about 8 kilometers on a dirt road that
took us to the sea, when we finally arrived we walked toward some sand
dunes I saw in the distance. On the way there a dog began following us,"
he said. "As soon as we stopped the dog got close to her and laid down
next to her, finding the shade she made with the sun."

About 15 percent of the Mexican population identifies as indigenous
<http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/IndigenousPeoplesRightsInMexico.aspx>,
according to the United Nations Human Rights Council. That number jumps
to 56 percent in Oaxaca, where there are 16 different indigenous groups
<http://www.history.com/topics/mexico/oaxaca>.

"In Oaxaca something very interesting happens: there is a mix of the
modern and the traditional, of the indigenous people and the mestizo
people
<http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/IndigenousPeoplesRightsInMexico.aspx>,
that fight to conserve that indigenous part that they inherited," Huerta
told HuffPost. "The portraits that I’ve done are from four of the eight
regions that exist in Oaxaca (after four years I’m only halfway through
the project) and they are people that I’ve met directly in the villages
or small towns that I’ve visited. Some of those people I can now call my
friends."

As part of his project, Huerta travels to remote parts of the State and
has photographed women and men from the Zapotec, Mixtecos, Mixes and
Chontales communities. His project in Oaxaca will feed into a larger
photo endeavor he has planned called "Native Nation,"
<http://behindmystories.com/portfolio/nativenation/> which consists of
documenting Mexico's more than 50 indigenous groups.

The Austin-based photographer shares many of his portraits on his
Instagram account. <https://www.instagram.com/diegohuertaphoto/> In the
long run, Huerta hopes that his photo projects create "an empathy for
indigenous people, and that that empathy be a trigger to respect them
and value them," he said. "Discrimination doesn't only exist in the
United States. In Mexico there's a high degree of discrimination against
native people. And there's a lot of ignorance from modern society
towards them."

Check out some of Huerta's photos from "Inside Oaxaca" below, and more
on his Instagram account <https://www.instagram.com/diegohuertaphoto/>.

  *
    <https://www.huffpost.com/entry/photographer-captures-the-breathtaking-beauty-of-mexicos-indigenous-communities_n_5704038ce4b0a06d5807300d#570408f5e4b083f5c6092f2b>

    Diego Huerta