[D66] An Epistemology of Noise

A.OUT jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Feb 19 20:54:48 CET 2020

https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1080/14735784.2019.1680300

CULTURE, THEORY AND CRITIQUE
https://doi.org/10.1080/14735784.2019.1680300
Pure information: on infinity and human nature in the
technical object
Cecile Malaspina
College International de Philosophie, Paris, France

ABSTRACT
The technical object is said to carry a pure information. This idea is
as bold as it is perplexing, seeing that it does not refer
straightforwardly to a technical concept, such as negentropy, nor
to any semantic sense related to communication. This purity of
information can indeed be understood in light of something
human, whose trace we find in the technical object, but
Simondon once more confounds expectations. Untying the idea
of human nature from anthropological, social or even
psychological terms, he refers instead to what, in each of us,
remains tributary to the metaphysical notion of the unlimited and
indefinite (α  ̓́ πειρον; ápeiron). We are thus in the presence of an
aporia, a puzzlement. To grasp the idea of pure information and
to understand it in light of in the human ‘ápeiron’ requires that
we think through the apparently paradoxical notion of an imprint
of infinity on the technical object. To help us in this endeavour is
Simondon’s conception of a power of initiative that marks both
human collectivity and the technical object with an axiomatic
audacity.