[D66] Free to Learn

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Tue Aug 18 10:00:54 CEST 2020

https://www.basicbooks.com/titles/peter-gray/free-to-learn/9780465084999/

Free to Learn

Why Unleashing the Instinct to Play Will Make Our Children Happier, More
Self-Reliant, and Better Students for Life

by Peter Gray <https://www.basicbooks.com/contributor/peter-gray/>

*A leading expert in childhood development makes the case for why
self-directed learning — “unschooling” — is the best way to get kids to
learn.* In /Free to Learn/, developmental psychologist Peter Gray argues
that in order to foster children who will thrive in today’s constantly
changing world, we must entrust them to steer their own learning and
development. Drawing on evidence from anthropology, psychology, and
history, he demonstrates that free play is the primary means by which
children learn to control their lives, solve problems, get along with
peers, and become emotionally resilient. A brave, counterintuitive
proposal for freeing our children from the shackles of the
curiosity-killing institution we call school, /Free to Learn/ suggests
that it’s time to stop asking what’s wrong with our children, and start
asking what’s wrong with the system. It shows how we can act — both as
parents and as members of society — to improve children’s lives and to
promote their happiness and learning.

Genre: Nonfiction
<https://www.basicbooks.com/genre-category/nonfiction/> / Education
<https://www.basicbooks.com/genre/education/> / Learning Styles