[D66] The Media Manifesto

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Tue Aug 18 09:14:00 CEST 2020

https://politybooks.com/bookdetail/?isbn=9781509538058&subject_id=3

The Media Manifesto
Natalie Fenton,
<https://politybooks.com/author-book/?authid=Natalie+Fenton> Des
Freedman, <https://politybooks.com/author-book/?authid=+Des+Freedman>
Justin Schlosberg,
<https://politybooks.com/author-book/?authid=+Justin+Schlosberg> Lina
Dencik <https://politybooks.com/author-book/?authid=+Lina+Dencik>

Our media systems are in crisis. Run by unaccountable corporations and
dominated by agendas and algorithms that are shrouded in mystery, these
formerly trusted sources have lost their way. As consumers, we have
plenty of choice, but as citizens we have an abundance of misinformation
and misrepresentation.

Four prominent media scholars and activists put forth a roadmap for
radical reform of concentrated media power. They argue that we should
put media justice, economic democracy and social equality at the heart
of our scholarship and our campaigning.

/The Media Manifesto/ delivers a sharp analysis of our communications
crisis and a passionate call for change. It provides hope for media
reform movements across the globe.

"This essential book presents a searing blueprint for democratizing our
media. It does exactly what a manifesto should do – it provides readers
with the necessary analytical tools and culminates with a call to
action. Another system is possible, and these brilliant
scholar-activists show us the way forward!"
*Victor Pickard, University of Pennsylvania*

"Media giants, fake news, data justice. This is the essential guide to
what is wrong with today’s media and how to make it right."
*Vincent Mosco, author of /The Smart City in a Digital World/*

Buy Now
<http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-9781509538058.html>

 From Wiley.com

Order Exam Copy
<https://professor.wiley.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?PROCFUN+PROF5+PR5FN05+FUNCPARMS+CWIL(A0010):N+LANG(A0010):1+ISBN(A0090):509538070>

For Lecturers Only

More Info

  * June 2020
  * 140 pages
  * 138 x 216 mm / 5 x 9 in

The Manifesto Series Series
<https://politybooks.com/bookdetail/index.php/serieslanding?subject_id=3&series_id=67>
Available Formats

  * Hardback £35.00 €39.60
  * 9781509538058
  * Paperback £9.99 €11.30
  * 9781509538065
  * Open eBook £8.49 €9.99
  * 9781509538072

Table of Contents
/Acknowledgements/
1 Challenging Media Power Today
2 Claiming Media Justice
3 Advancing Data Justice
4 Articulating a Politics of Hope
5 Conclusion: A Manifesto for Media Reform
/Notes/

*About the Author*

*Natalie Fenton* is Professor of Media and Communications at Goldsmiths,
University of London.

*Des Freedman* is Professor of Media and Communications at Goldsmiths,
University of London.

*Justin Schlosberg* is Senior Lecturer in Journalism and Media at
Birkbeck, University of London.

*Lina Dencik* is Reader in the School of Journalism, Media and Culture
at Cardiff University.