[D66] The Technological Bluff

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Sun Aug 9 18:46:30 CEST 2020

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR...

M. Ellul's view of technology is that once it is let out of the
laboratory, technology cannot be turned off. Technology begets more
technology. The modern world, therefore, is one in which more technology
is inevitable. Fixing or remediating the impact of a technology like
water pollution requires--you guessed it--more technology.

https://monoskop.org/images/5/50/Ellul_Jacques_The_Technological_Bluff.pdf
https://sci-hub.se/https://www.jstor.org/stable/689766

The Technological Bluff by Jacques EllulReview by: Paul J.
JohnsonScience, Technology, & Human Values, Vol. 16, No. 2 (Spring,
1991), pp. 258-260Published by: Sage Publications, Inc.Stable URL:
http://www.jstor.org/stable/689766 .Accessed: 21/06/2014 21:19

The Technological Bluff, by Jacques Ellul. Grand Rapids, MI: William B.
Eerdmans, 1990, x + 406 pp., $24.95 (cloth). "Had I not yoyoed away my
time in school reading Herodotus, Saint-Simon, Rilke, and Owen Wister,
seeking answers to the mystery of personality and the riddle of history,
I would not have failed to become an intelligent and informed buyer of
goods and services. It's as simple as that." Thus Candace, in Donald
Barthleme's (1974)

Book Reviews 259 "Down the Line with the Annual," explains to her
husband, who forgives her as she is "racked ... by irritation of the
lungs from overuse of hair sprays" and "unpleasant drying and crusting
of the lips from overuse of indelible lipsticks" (p. 3) and her failure
at washing her new washable tennis balls in her new, and defective,
washing machine. In capsule here is the theme of Ellul's work on
technology: the multifarious ways accelerating technology causes us
first to regret and then to forget those deep concerns and responses
definitive of being human for two-and-a-half millennia, and forces us,
ever more willingly, to adapt ourselves to whatever technological change
produces and simultaneously exposes us to unanticipated and unsuspected
risks. In The Technological Society (which took four years to reach
print, as in the first years of the fifties publishers did not believe
there would be any interest in a book on technology!) and in The
Technological System and countless papers, Ellul's focus generally has
been "la technique," the ensemble of rationally ordered means and its
autonomous dynamic. This is his first book on technology in the strict
sense of the word, discourse about technique. The range is wide, from
discussions of what we might call the epistemology of technology (what
it is possible to know about it or, more accurately, what we cannot
know'hbout it), through the way the coded language technologists speak
enhances their status as the new aristocracy, to the sheer propa- ganda
for technological change with which we are constantly bombarded. As
always, we are treated to Ellul's typical combination of subtly nuanced
discussions and curmudgeonly blunt, if well-supported, judgments. The
technological bluff is the way technique (not technicians) manages to
neutral- ize any sense of conflict in or discontent with technological
change. It does this by sur- rounding us with a reassuring ordinariness,
with a sense that, despite the overwhelm- ing powers unleashed, the new
techniques are ever more familiar, warm, personal, individualizing, and
freeing. Thus increasingly, society as a whole is rendered incap- able
of questioning whether we are continually mistaking speed, change, and
move- ment for progress. We are made to feel secure, even while we are
inexorably sur- rounded by unforeseeable dangers inherent in the
increasing complexity of techniques. This outflanking and neutralizing
of people and societies "is effected by the en- ticement of the
individual into permanent sociotechnical discourse." This is brought
about, Ellul shows, in part deliberately, by enthusiasts for this or
that technological change or for some ideal of technological perfection,
and in part spontaneously, by people who wish to succeed and who see
technological adeptness as the only way to do so. An increasingly large
group of people are "so fascinated by the kaleidoscope of techniques
invading their universe that they do not know and cannot want anything
other than to adapt to them fully." Ellul ultimately focuses on these
"fascinated people" and on the techniques of their fascination. A major
element in the technological bluff is the continual obscuring of reality
and its replacement by fantasy. Any thoughtful reader can easily supply
numerous kinds of instances that Ellul does not get to, even in this
large book. For example, I have before me a catalog from a company that
specializes in high-tech, mostly useless, gadgets. Ads scream out:
"Unleash your creativity!" "Expand your brain power by 64K!" and "Party
machine makes you a music video star!" How do I unleash mcreativity? By
pushing one key on an electronic keyboard that instantly forms a melody
around the note, complete with harmonic and rhythmic accompaniment.
Similarly, I increase my brain power with a hand-held data base for
recording names, addresses, and telephone numbers. And I become a music
video star by use of the newest karaoke machine that shows music videos
complete with the words on the screen "to keep you on the beat" and with
digital echo control to add "depth and richness" to your voice and a
"voice enhancer to smooth out gaps in your [emphasis added]
performance." Why should I try to develop my creative powers or my
memory or my voice, or for that matter, learn mathematics when I am told
continually that a machine will provide me with those same powers
instantly and without the work re- quired for self-development? As Ellul
points out, we are constantly fed the illusion of increasing personal
power while, as a matter of fact, we become weaker, less capable, more
dependent, and stupefied. Another technique of seduction is the
continual association of technology with nature, from which we are
increasingly isolated, and with huge sums of money that most of us want
but do not have. My catalog again- a razor ad announces a "platinum
edition of the $200 million dollar shave!" and a machine that allows you
to "experi- ence a natural [emphasis in original] way to fall asleep to
the calming sounds of the surf." The ideal life we are presented with,
as Ellul says, is watching television on the beach. Part of the problem
is that this goes on so continually that we hardly notice or react to
the absurdity of the distortions and outright lies. Fantasy becomes our
normal environment, and we are stripped of critical awareness. Deception
in advertising is, of course, but one small thread in the varied web of
technological bluff that Ellul unravels as he explores the ways in which
we are being molded into conformity with a new paradigm of humanity.
There are many who undoubtedly see Ellul as nothing more than a
crotchety Jeremiah or worse, a frantic Chicken Little. I would suggest a
different comparison. I would suggest he is our Socrates. Like Socrates
he encourages us to pause in our mad pursuit of what we take to be the
good and concern ourselves with what we are becoming, with the true
good, with the proper state of our souls. Ellul is a rare bird. Who else
today has his capacity for work, his ability to range so widely with
reasonable competence, and his passion for our spiritual welfare? Such
gadflies are never comfortable to live with. But as Socrates said of
himself before the Athenians killed him, "When I am gone, you will not
soon find another like me." We should treasure Ellul while he is still
with us and consider carefully his warnings. -Paul J. Johnson California
State University, San Bernardino Reference Barthleme, Donald. 1974.
Guilty pleasures. New York: Farrar, Straus, & Giroux