[D66] New Pathogen, Old Politics

Antid Oto jugg at ziggo.nl
Mon Apr 6 17:37:55 CEST 2020

https://bostonreview.net/science-nature/alex-de-waal-new-pathogen-old-politics

New Pathogen, Old Politics

We should be wary of simplistic uses of history, but we can learn from
the logic of social responses.

Alex de Waal

[...]
The clearest questions are political. What should the public demand of
their governments? Through hard-learned experience, AIDS policymakers
developed a mantra: “know your epidemic, act on its politics.” The
motives for—and consequences of—public health measures have always gone
far beyond controlling disease. Political interest trumps science—or, to
be more precise, political interest legitimizes some scientific readings
and not others. Pandemics are the occasion for political contests, and
history suggests that facts and logic are tools for combat, not arbiters
of the outcome.

Political interest legitimizes some scientific readings and not others.
Pandemics are the occasion for political contests, and history suggests
that facts and logic are tools for combat, not arbiters of the outcome.

While public health officials urge the public to suspend normal
activities to flatten the curve of viral transmission, political leaders
also urge us to suspend our critique so that they can be one step ahead
of the outcry when it comes. Rarely in recent history has the
bureaucratic, obedience-inducing mode of governance of the “deep state”
become so widely esteemed across the political spectrum. It is precisely
at such a moment, when scientific rationality is honored, that we need
to be most astutely aware of the political uses to which such expertise
is put. Looking back to Hamburg in 1892, we can readily discern what was
science and what was superstition. We need our critical faculties on
high alert to make those distinctions today.
[...]