[D66] Dictionary of concepts for Graham Harman’s OOP

A.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Tue Sep 4 08:37:57 CEST 2018

https://avoidingthevoid.wordpress.com/dictionary-of-concepts-for-graham-harmans-object-oriented-philosophy-draft-work-in-progress/

Dictionary of concepts for Graham Harman’s object-oriented philosophy
[draft: work in progress]

Object-Oriented Philosophy: A Graham Harman Dictionary of Concepts

AESTHETICS

“Relations between all real objects, including mindless chunks of dirt,
occur only be means of some form of allusion. But insofar as we have
identified allure with an aesthetic effect, this means that aesthetics
becomes first philosophy” (OVC, p.221). Harman quotes Levinas to stress
“the aesthetic orientation man gives to the world represents a return to
enjoyment and to the elemental on a higher plane. The world of things
calls for art, in which intellectual accession to be moves into
enjoyment, in which the Infinity of the idea is idolized in the finite,
but sufficient, image” (GM, p.44). Relations translate “the dark and
inward into the tangible and outward, a task which it always comes out
short, given the infinite depth of things” thus aesthetics is important,
as art is a system of “expressive signs whose function was not to tell
us about things but to present them to us in the act of executing
themselves”. Art is something that seemingly lets us see the “impossible
depth of objects”(GM, p.105). “Art is the volcanic force of our planet,
releasing magma from the hidden core of things” (GM, p.130).