[D66] The Right to the City

Jugg jugg at ziggo.nl
Thu Nov 16 07:22:20 CET 2017

https://www.versobooks.com/books/2674-the-right-to-the-city

The Right to the City
A Verso Report
Edited by Verso Books

     Ebook

£5.99FREE100% off
Read on any device
November 2017 / 9781788730044

Special eBook collection on the most urgent question of our times: who
is the city for?

In 1968, the French Marxist philosopher Henri Lefebvre wrote “Le Droit a
la Ville” (“The Right to the City”), which has become one of the most
essential texts in radical geography and urban studies. It transformed
the way we think about urban life and the right to make and remake our
cities, and ourselves. Fifty years on, the question of who is the city
is for, and why, is more urgent than ever.

In this special Verso report, some of the most important voices in the
current debate on the right to city are gathered to debate what Lefebvre
originally intended and what it might mean today within the neoliberal
urban world. How these ideas help us to understand the contemporary
struggle in housing; how to protest gentrification; the privatisation of
public spaces; and the demand for places of self expression, and the
security of home. The collection also explores how these ideas can be
used in other fields—such as digital space and the Internet of Things.

Contributors include David Adler, Neil Brenner, Bradley Garrett, Andrea
Gibbons, Huw Lemmey, David Madden & Peter Marcuse, Andy Merrifield, Anna
Minton, Don Mitchell, Rebecca Omonira-Oyekanmi, Nina Power, Dubravka
Sekulić, Joe Shaw & Mark Graham, and Alex Vasudevan.

See all our Cities and Architecture reading here.