[D66] "symbolic efficiency"

Jugg jugg at ziggo.nl
Thu Nov 16 06:58:25 CET 2017

http://marginal-utility.blogspot.nl/2012/09/symbolic-efficiency-liquid-modernity.html

Jodi Dean's use of "symbolic efficiency" (borrowed from Žižek, who
adapted it from Lacan) offers one way of theorizing this condition. For
Dean and Žižek, the loss of symbolic efficiency means we have a hard
time believing in the sort of expert systems and ideological constructs
we are supposed to believe in to fix our identity within socially
sanctioned limits. The problem of course is that society now sanctions
chiefly limitlessness for personal identity; family, religion, etc. are
mostly outmoded by the technologically enhanced pursuit of experience
that we can record and recirculate to enrich the media circuits of
"communicative capitalism."

Dean writes in Democracy and Other Neoliberal Fantasies, "we never
really know whether what we say registers with the other as what we mean
as well as our sense that we are never quite sure what 'everybody
knows:' There is no ultimate guarantor of meaning, no recognized
authority that stops our questioning or assuages our doubts." No big
Other to believe in or to do the believing for us.

In the absence of guarantees that the rightness or wrongness of our life
choices is stable — a loss of faith in the language in circulation to
talk about such things as duty, honor, virtue, etc. — we fall into the
trap of pursuing quantity of experience instead. The given identity from
society tends to be that of an insatiable consumer, the residual
identity left after other identity groups are destabilized. "As a result
of the critical work of these [social] movements, as well as the
accompanying decline of the welfare state and empowering of
neoliberalism, racial, sexual, and ethnic identities are less fixed,
less stable, less available as determinate subject positions." The
result, Dean argues, is a shift from a "Keynesian to a neoliberal
ideological formation" in which identity is open-ended, not fixed by ISAs.