[D66] Stardom is overgewaardeerd

J.N. jugg at ziggo.nl
Mon Jan 18 09:37:17 CET 2016

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/18/david-bowie-astronomers-give-the-starman-his-own-constellation?CMP=fb_gu

wie o wie,

David Bowie has been given his own constellation, consisting of seven
stars that shine in the shape of the lightning bolt.

"Most disturbingly, and perhaps surprisingly, Bowie began to flirt with
fascist imagery and jargon. In a 1975 interview with Playboy, Bowie
declared Hitler “one of the first rock stars” and announced that he
believed “very strongly in fascism.” Earlier, he told a Swedish
journalist, “Britain could benefit from a fascist leader.

With evident sincerity, he would later apologize for these remarks,
calling them “incredibly irresponsible.” In the 1980s and 1990s, he made
various anti-racist and anti-fascist statements. Bowie and others blamed
the episode on his drug use: “I was out of my mind, totally, completely
crazed [on drugs].” There was no doubt some truth to this. Bowie was
struggling with a very serious cocaine addiction at the time. There was
also his ever-present desire to shock audiences and the press. But that
wasn’t the whole truth." *)

*) http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/01/16/bowi-j16.html
http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/bowie/