[D66] Žiek: de te fabula narratur

J.N. jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Jul 1 11:33:09 CEST 2015

http://analyzegreece.gr/topics/greece-europe/item/253-slavoj-zizek-on-greece-de-te-fabula-narratur

Slavoj Žiek on Greece, Europe and the Referendum: "De te fabula narratur!"

    June 30, 2015
    Published in GREECE/EUROPE

Slavoj Žižek on Greece, Europe and the Referendum: "De te fabula
narratur!"
Slavoj Žižek

The struggle that goes on is the struggle for the European economic and
political Leitkultur.The EU powers stand for the technocratic status quo
which is keeping Europe in inertia for decades. In his Notes Towards a
Definition of Culture, the great conservative T.S. Eliot remarked that
there are moments when the only choice is the one between heresy
andnon-belief, i.e., when the only way to keep a religion alive is to
perform asectarian split from its main corpse.

This is our position today with regard to Europe: only a new "heresy"
(represented at this moment by Syriza) can save what is worth saving in
European legacy: democracy, trust in people,egalitarian solidarity.

The Europe that will win if Syriza is outmaneuvered is a "Europe with
Asian values" (which, of course, has nothing to do with Asia,but all
with the clear and present tendency of contemporary capitalism to
suspenddemocracy). We, from Western Europe, like to look upon Greece as
if we are detached observers who follow with compassion and sympathy the
plight of the impoverished nation. Such a comfortable standpoint relies
on a fateful illusion – what goes on in Greece these last weeks concerns
all of us, it is the futureof Europe which is at stake.

So when we read about Greece these days, we should always bear in mind
that, as the old saying goes, de te fabula narrator.

Many thanks to Costas Douzinas who sent us the statement of  Slavoj Žižek