[D66] Less Than Nothing: Hegel and the Shadow of Dialectical Materialism

Antid Oto protocosmos66 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 11:03:29 CET 2012

Alhoewel ik geen aanhanger van Zizek ben volg ik zijn werk toch op de voet. Zijn
nieuwste boek over Hegel (1200 pagina's) verschijnt in April van dit jaar. De
vraag zal zijn of we Zizek na het lezen van dit boek "von der Kopf auf die
Füssen stellen müssen"... wellicht omdat Less than Nothing gelijk is aan Nothing
Less than Nothing met zijn onnavolgbare hodgepodge van random observaties.

AO

http://www.versobooks.com/books/1114-less-than-nothing

Less Than Nothing: Hegel and the Shadow of Dialectical Materialism
by Slavoj Žižek

Slavoj Žižek's masterwork on the Hegelian legacy

For the last two centuries, Western philosophy has developed in the shadow of
Hegel, whose influence each new thinker tries in vain to escape: whether in the
name of the pre-rational Will, the social process of production, or the
contingency of individual existence. Hegel's absolute idealism has become the
bogeyman of philosophy, obscuring the fact that he is the dominant philosopher
of the epochal historical transition to modernity; a period with which our own
time shares startling similarities.

Today, as global capitalism comes apart at the seams, we are entering a new
transition. In Less Than Nothing, the pinnacle publication of a distinguished
career, Slavoj Žižek argues that it is imperative that we not simply return to
Hegel but that we repeat and exceed his triumphs, overcoming his limitations by
being even more Hegelian than the master himself. Such an approach not only
enables Žižek to diagnose our present condition, but also to engage in a
critical dialogue with the key strands of contemporary thought-Heidegger,
Badiou, speculative realism, quantum physics and cognitive sciences. Modernity
will begin and end with Hegel.