Creatief gebruik Lisbon Treaty

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Wed Sep 30 12:13:52 CEST 2009

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Deze schrijver maakt wel heel creatief gebruik van de 'Lisbon Treaty'

Eerlijk gezegd kan ik me wel vinden in soortgelijk gebruik, al zou het
alleen al zijn om te voorkomen dat onze huidige voorman de eerste
president zou worden.
Ik zou graag zien dat die positie door een integer persoon zou worden
ingenomen, echter die zal in die kringen moeilijk te vinden zijn.

Groet / Cees

PS Een rare ontwikkeling, kostuums voor €28.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2009/0930/1224255501851.html
Stepping out in the €27.99 suit

PAUL CULLEN

Wed, Sep 30, 2009

Lidl is selling cut-price suits, but what’s it like to wear one for a day?
And how does the retailer manage to sell them so cheaply?

SUITS, LIKE furniture, were once made for life, even if the fate of that
life was to be spent on a hanger. My wardrobe collection includes a
wedding suit (worn twice, at most), a confirmation suit and a communion
suit (which, four decades on, I can’t bring myself to part with).

Since Monday, though, those venerable old models must share closet space
with a pushy new arrival, a modest two-piece black number with no great
pretensions and a single claim for your attention.

My “elegant suit for business and formal occasions in a classic cut”, as
it was described on the packaging, cost all of €27.99.

I no longer recall how much my parents paid for my communion suit, but I
know it involved hard-won staged payments over a period of months. There
were repeated visits to a sombre tailor’s attic in the city centre and I
doubt somehow it was paid off with the cost of a steak and chips.

My “double-buttoned jacket with two front-flap pockets, single back vent
and button detail on sleeve”, in contrast, came in a box. I picked it up
from Lidl on Dublin’s Thomas Street, by the wastepaper bins and cordless
phones, and just over from the scallions and courgettes.

It’s a sign of how much retailing has changed that you can now buy a suit
– not to mention the €6.99 shirt to go with it – in a German-owned
discount food shop. And it’s a sign of how much has changed recently that
instead of idle boasts about conspicuous consumption, you are more likely
to hear people gleefully recounting the bargains they snapped up.

On the face of things my purchase was good value; but was it the bargain
it seemed? Also, if clothes make the man, what sort of man do I become in
a Lidl suit? What does quality count for in an era of disposability? And
how do big retailers manage to sell such goods so cheaply?

I took my box back to the office and tried on the suit. Buying a suit in a
box, not a good idea – the jacket draped idly over my shoulders, the flaps
were creased and the waistband of my trousers was so wide I could have
fitted in a few volumes of the Lisbon Treaty and still not taken up the
slack.

Now this isn’t entirely Lidl’s fault; I belong to the gangly branch of the
Cullens and oversizing is my way of ensuring the sleeve and leg lengths
are optimal. Indeed, my sleeve length was fine and with the help of a belt
my trousers offered to defy gravity. Lidl says their suits are “perfect
for young men going for their first job or even a student dressing to
impress” and I don’t fit either bill.

Still, I experienced a frisson pulling on the black jacket and striding
out manfully among my colleagues. Perhaps I had started to feel like a
million dollars in a €27.99 suit. Hamlet, and the sartorial advice handed
out by Polonius to his son, came to mind: “Costly thy habit as thy purse
can buy/But not express’d in fancy; rich, not gaudy/For the apparel oft
proclaims the man.”

Sadly, my frisson was just static electricity. Polyester is like that, as
I should have remembered when I was sold a fake “pure silk” suit for half
nothing while on a holiday once in Vietnam.

But at least my colleagues would be there to pep me up. Wrong again.

“It’s Lidl man,” said our agriculture correspondent, hitherto better known
for his knowledge of wellies and overalls. “That sort of thing gives the
recession a bad name.” Others were marginally more generous. It wasn’t
bad, “considering”. Someone wanted to know was I “going for an interview”.
It would be good for the winter “when it’s dark”. Another colleague – the
mother of teenagers, practical as ever – suggested it would be “good for a
debs – if you puked on it, you could just throw it away”.

Out on the streets, people didn’t know I was a man in a cheap suit, but I
hardly fared better. My oversized jacket billowed about in the wind and a
drunk took a dislike to the “effin’ suit” in his way. So now I was being
defined by my suit.

I popped into Louis Copeland’s to get the view of the city’s best-known
tailor. “Worth every penny of €27.99 – and nothing more,” he said, rubbing
the fabric between thumb and forefinger. “It’d be great for a young lad
looking for his first suit – unless he was going for a job.”

Louis had me try on the jacket of a Canali suit, which cost the equivalent
of 38 Lidl suits but fitted beautifully. I was flattered to hear I have
the same jacket size as Barack Obama, who wears this brand.

Expensive suits are made from fine wool, and much of the stitching is done
by hand, Louis tells me. Wool keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the
summer, while polyester – well, just think of sleeping on polyester sheets
on a warm night.

This jacket has shape and solidity and feel about it, and the innards, as
he shows me, include a breastpiece made from the hair of a female horse’s
tail (not a male – think about it). I resolve to buy such a suit one day,
but not just yet. . .

The day is wearing on and my suit is wearing me down. This modelling lark
is all very well but I realise that, like many Irish men, I want to
disappear into my clothes rather than be noticed for them. Just look
around you on the street at all the blacks and greys and the uniforms of
rich and poor and you’ll see what I mean.

Besides, I’m starting to feel guilty about my €27.99 suit. How can a
garment like this be made and transported to Ireland and then sold for so
little? Under what conditions is it produced, where and by whom?

There is no indication anywhere on the suit or the packaging about where
the suit is manufactured. I contact the supermarket chain’s PR department
who tell me they don’t have access to this because it’s “confidential
buyer information”.

But a quick internet search brings up references to a report by ethical
clothing campaigners in the UK about the onerous working conditions of
garment workers in the developing world whose factories supply Lidl and
other chains with cheap clothes. The company has rejected the allegations
in the report but I still start to feel pangs of guilt.

But at least I’ve learned something. As Louis whispered: “If something
looks too good to be true, it is too good to be true.” The price of this
suit is truly amazing but its value – to this buyer at least – is
considerably less.

© 2009 The Irish Times