Geen doekjes om het klimaat winden

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Sat Feb 14 10:21:49 CET 2009

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Wat een verademing na Bush&Cheney ;)

Voor wat het waterprobleem betreft: het duurt geen 50 jaar meer voor de
grote steden in het zuid-westen van de USA ZONDER drinkwater zitten, laat
staan dat er water is voor de landbouw.

Groet / Cees

Obama Energy Secretary: California Vineyards Could Disappear
http://www.livescience.com/environment/090204-steven-chu.html

By LiveScience Staff

Any questions about whether the Obama administration views global warming
seriously were answered today by Nobel-prize-winning physicist Steven Chu,
the new energy secretary.

If the United States does not act to curb global warming, California's
farms and vineyards could vanish by the end of the century, Chu said
today. He also warned of water shortages that loom in the West and Upper
Midwest.

"I don't think the American public has gripped in its gut what could
happen," Chu said in an interview with The Los Angeles Times. "We're
looking at a scenario where there's no more agriculture in California."
And, he added, "I don't actually see how they can keep their cities going"
either.

Chu is not a climate scientist, the newspaper points out. He taught at
Stanford University and directed the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
before accepting the White House job.

Several climate studies have made similar predictions, however.

Chu outlines several approaches needed to combating climate change:
    * Education of the public
    * Billions of dollars for alternative energy research and infrastructure.
    * A national standard for electricity from renewable sources.
    * Cap-and-trade legislation to limit greenhouse gas emissions.

"I'm hoping that the American people will wake up," Chu said.