New labelling for West Bank foods

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Fri Dec 11 07:38:22 CET 2009

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Heel goed idee. Zou ook voor alle andere goederen moeten gelden, b.v.
bloemen.

Groet / Cees

New labelling for West Bank foods

UK food labels are set to distinguish between goods from Palestinians in
the occupied territories and produce from Israeli settlements.

Food packaging guidelines advise a change from labels usually only
naming Israel or West Bank as the source.

The government said it was opposed to a boycott of Israeli goods, but
that the settlements posed an obstacle to peace.

The Palestinian general delegation to the UK welcomed the move, but
Israel said it was "extremely disappointed".

All Jewish settlements in the West Bank are illegal under international
law, though Israel disputes this.

The new guidelines recommend that food labels in supermarkets should
bear the phrases "Israeli settlement produce" or "Palestinian produce".

Manuel Hassassian, Palestinian general Delegate to the UK, said: "We
welcome this. We have been calling for this for two years, since we
began lobbying major British supermarkets when we discovered that they
were routinely selling products marked 'produce of the West Bank' which
were in fact the produce of illegal settlements.

"This is a very positive response by the British government."

But the Israeli embassy said it was "extremely disappointed".

"We think this is singling out Israel and it plays into the hands of
those who are calling for a boycott of Israeli goods," it said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/8407289.stm