Politics is simply the last of our institutions to be slowly pulled along

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Mon Apr 6 17:05:44 CEST 2009

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Democracy - A Journal of Ideas

Help your brains - Get a bookmark ;)

Groet / Cees

http://democracyjournal.org/article.php?ID=6671

Bloggers at the Gate
The Internet hasn't perfected democracy. But it might.
by Matt Bai
The Myth of Digital Democracy By Matthew Hindman  • Princeton University
Press • 2008 • 198 Pages • $22.95

One of the most common clichés in Washington–up there with, say,
now-nauseating references to "game-changers" and Barack Obama’s "team of
rivals"–is that the Internet has suddenly transformed our politics. This
isn’t really true. Rather, over the last decade, the Internet has
transformed just about everything in American life. Ordinary Americans of
all ages increasingly do their banking online, buy their cars online, shop
for groceries and medications online, pay their taxes online, conduct
meetings online, rent movies online, even meet their spouses online. And
politics, which is always sluggish to adapt to larger cultural trends–we
still wear ties to work in the Capitol, you know–is simply the last of our
institutions to be slowly pulled along.