Senaatsfractie PvdA: Geen Iraq-enquete

Henk op xp HmjE at HOME.NL
Tue Mar 6 07:04:00 CET 2007

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Mark Giebels schreef:
>  REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl
>
>  Uiteraard ging het om De Hoop Scheffer, dat wist toch iedereen? Ik
>  heb er ooit nog eens een grapje over gepost hier:

>  George: 'But aren't you guys from that ultra-liberal country in Old
>  Europe?" JP:"We are trying to reform it" George:"Oh great, just what
>  I try to do up here. But I have to deal with this damn constitution
>  that ties my hands. How do you guys get away with that. Don't you
>  have liberal activist lawyers". JP: "Constitution? Lawyers? What are
>  you talking about. In Holland, we politicians have the power to do
>  whatever we want". George:"Really, and how do you get elected with
>  such an anti-liberal agenda. We have all those so-called civil rights
>  groups that throw tons of bucks in ads against me, particularly if I
>  say what I really want". JP: "We don't, and we don't get elected
>  either". George:"Wow, that sounds like heaven. It's much tougher up
>  here. I'm trying, for instance, to fund our conservative faith-based
>  schools with tax money, but those damn liberals are able to stop me
>  at every attempt. I've tried everything already." JP:"Our religious
>  school get funded by the government just as much as our public
>  schools. In fact, that's written in our constitution." George: "Wow,
>  how amazing, let's keep in contact, maybe we can exchange some
>  ideas.." JP: "Well, now you mention this, I was thinking, how about
>  you appoint my dearest friend DHS as secretary general of NATO or
>  something..." DHS:"Ehh, hi Mr Bush, that's me, DHS.." George:" OK,
>  see you guys, you're doing a great job over there in Scandinavia..."
>  JP: "Thanks, bye, just wanted to let you know that we support you
>  whatever your plans are reagrding Iraq". George: "Sure, you guys
>  share my faith, I can count on you, see you".
>
>  DHS: "Is het gelukt JP" JP:"Ik denk het wel Jaap"

OK, SO TIME TO LEARN HOWTO: ´DUCK AND COVER´ !!
http://stream.state.gov/streamvol/journa
<http://stream.state.gov/streamvol/journals/fullversion.mov>ls/fullversion.mov
<http://stream.state.gov/streamvol/journals/fullversion.mov>

Ok, op naar een wat realistischer scenario
http://usinfo.state.gov/journals/itps/0305/ijpe/lutes.htm

      New Players on the Scene:
      A.Q. Khan and the Nuclear Black Market

/Colonel Charles D. Lutes
/

    /Current nonproliferation regimes "may be inadequate to deal with
    the emerging threat of non-state proliferation" that Pakistani
    nuclear scientist A.Q. Khan represents, according to U.S. Air Force
    Colonel Charles D. Lutes. He says that's because these regimes are
    based on international norms, which in turn are based on the
    assumption that only governments are able to develop nuclear weapons. /

    /A Senior Military Fellow at the Institute for National Strategic
    Studies at the National Defense University, Washington, D.C., Lutes
    says the Bush administration, recognizing this flawed assumption,
    has begun employing a two-tracked approach, attacking both supply of
    and demand for nuclear materials. /

In October 2003, Italian coast guard cutters pulled alongside a
German-flagged cargo vessel bound for Libya called the /BBC China/. Upon
inspection, authorities found precision machine tools, aluminum tubes,
molecular pumps, and other components for building approximately 10,000
"P-2" gas centrifuges designed for enriching uranium to specifications
required for a nuclear weapon.

These components were traced back to a publicly traded Malaysian
engineering company called Scomi Precision Engineering. Scomi had
manufactured the parts at the behest of a Sri Lankan, Buhary Sayed Abu
Tahir. Via his front company in Dubai, SMB Computers, Tahir arranged to
deliver the parts to Libya for its hidden nuclear weapons program.

The Italian authorities ensured that the cargo never arrived at its
destination. The seizure of the /BBC China's/ cargo was a key part in a
chain of events that led Libyan President Muammar Qadhafi to "come out
of the cold" and renounce his weapons of mass destruction (WMD) programs
in December 2003.

Just as significantly, this interdiction operation was the strand that
unraveled the shadowy proliferation network of Tahir's boss and mentor,
Pakistani scientist Abdul Qadeer Khan. [Note: The details on the /BBC
China/ seizure and the Khan network were derived from published sources.
Specifically, see Bill Powell and Tim McGirk, "The Man Who Sold the
Bomb," /Time/, February 14, 2005, pp. 22-30. Also see Barton Gellman and
Dafna Lizner, "Unprecedented Peril Forces Tough Calls: President Faces a
Multi-Front Battle Against Threats Known, Unknown," /The Washington
Post/, October 26, 2004, p. A1.]

*A Nuclear Marketplace*

The godfather of Pakistan's nuclear weapons program, A.Q. Khan is a
legendary and celebrated figure in his country for his years of
secretive work in developing the first "Islamic bomb" to counter the
threat from long-time rival India.

As a scientist working for the Dutch Urenco firm in the 1970s, Khan had
access to blueprints for uranium enrichment technology, which he stole
and brought back to Pakistan when he returned home.

Khan was appointed by then-Pakistani Prime Minister Ali Bhutto to run
Pakistan's nuclear-research program, with the goal of countering India's
nuclear aspirations with a weapon of its own. Running counter to the
nonproliferation norms of the international community, Khan was forced
to pursue this goal with the utmost secrecy. However, Pakistan's
indigenous scientific and engineering infrastructure was underdeveloped
for the task. So Khan did what any good entrepreneur would do: he
outsourced.

He cultivated a network of suppliers and manufacturers, many of whom did
not realize the ultimate objective of the science project undertaken at
the Khan Research Laboratories. By 1998, however, there was no doubt. To
the surprise of the international community, Pakistan completed five
underground nuclear tests and joined an elite club of nuclear weapon states.

For A.Q. Khan, the patriotic fervor surrounding this achievement was
only the beginning. A shrewd businessman, he saw potential for financial
gain between his network of suppliers and a burgeoning market for
nuclear arms. North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Libya were foremost on
a list of those at least window-shopping for such capability.

An ongoing investigation reveals that the Khan network played a
significant role, beginning in the early 1990s, in the development of
Iranian and North Korean enrichment technology. In exchange, North Korea
appears to have shared its ballistic missile technology with Pakistan.

The investigation of the Libyan program continues to reap an
intelligence bonanza uncovering the extent of Khan's cooperation with
rogue regimes worldwide. While there is considerable debate over the
role of the Pakistani government with regard to Khan's activities, it is
unlikely that officials in Islamabad had full knowledge of the scope and
scale of the Khan network.

As it continues to be exposed, the web of alleged Khan sponsors and
suppliers is breathtaking. Starting with the stolen centrifuge designs
from the Netherlands, and augmented by weapons designs from China, the
syndicate also included engineering assistance from Britain; vacuum
pumps from Germany; specialized lathes from Spain; furnaces from Italy;
centrifuge motors and frequency converters from Turkey; enrichment parts
from South Africa and Switzerland; aluminum from Singapore; and
centrifuge parts from Malaysia, all orchestrated from an administrative
hub in Dubai.

Despite mounting evidence, however, it is unlikely that the full extent
of the network that International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director
General Mohamed ElBaradei dubbed "the nuclear Wal-Mart" will ever be
fully known.

*Supply Always Meets Demand*

Now that A.Q. Khan is under house arrest in Pakistan, but unavailable to
Western authorities for interrogation, vexing questions remain. It is
clear that Khan met with, and possibly sold components to, officials in
a number of nuclear-aspiring states. Ongoing investigation has linked
Khan to nuclear programs in Iraq, Iran, North Korea, and Libya.
Additionally, published reports have identified Khan meetings with
potential customers in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Malaysia, Indonesia,
Algeria, Kuwait, Myanmar, and Abu Dhabi. The wider the spread of this
dangerous knowledge and expertise, the greater the opportunity exists
for terrorists or criminals to become armed with a nuclear bomb.

Clearly, al-Qaida and its affiliates are in the market for nuclear
weapons. On the one hand, Khan's far-flung conglomeration of shady
manufacturers, unsavory middlemen, and illicit traffickers seems the
ideal supplier to meet the terrorist demand for nuclear arms. Its
loosely coupled network mirrors the cellular structure favored by
al-Qaida-affiliated terrorists. This structure facilitates surreptitious
and relatively untraceable transactions among those who wish to wreak
catastrophic violence.

On the other hand, in considering the terrorist link it is important to
look at the wares that Khan and his cronies offered for sale. Primarily,
Khan purveyed the necessary materiel for a state nuclear program:
centrifuge components and designs, weapons blueprints, and technical
expertise. There are no published reports of Khan dealing in nuclear
fissile material itself, the final product of the enrichment process
that fuels a nuclear weapon.

Presumably terrorists would prefer to purchase a finished weapon or, at
a minimum, the fissile material, as they likely have little ability or
patience to develop a program infrastructure. To a terrorist, then,
dealing with Khan would be tantamount to asking for AK-47s and bullets,
and instead receiving steel, metal casts and molds, and a fabrication
instruction manual.

As much damage as the black market may have done in bringing North Korea
and Iran closer to membership in the nuclear club, the present danger
lies in how the supplier network adapts now that Khan is no longer at
the helm.

Although President Bush has stated that Khan's network has been shut
down, it remains possible that parts of it may have just burrowed more
deeply underground. While it is unlikely that Khan Research Laboratories
will engage in any further black market activity, it remains to be seen
what will become of its associates.

Just as terrorist networks re-form and adapt, so too can the supplier
network. The predominant commodity will be the knowledge base and
expertise resident in the remaining supplier nodes. Cut off from Khan's
access to the rogue state market, a new network of nuclear scientists
and engineers may coalesce around the terrorist market.

To the extent that these profiteers may have any access to fissile
material or even a finished weapon, the risk of proliferation to
terrorists increases exponentially. Unfortunately in the case of
terrorist actors, unlike state actors, possessing a nuclear weapon
probably has only one purpose: for detonation into a visible mushroom cloud.

*From Cooperative Agreements to Cooperative Action
*

Existing nonproliferation regimes may be inadequate to deal with the
emerging threat of non-state proliferation as exemplified by the Khan
nuclear smuggling network. International norms—the basis of these
regimes—are predicated on an assumption that only states have the
requisite resources to develop nuclear weapons.

The Khan experience, viewed through a new set of assumptions in a
post-9/11 world, indicates that this basic premise is flawed. For this
reason, the Bush administration has begun prodding the international
community to move from a position of cooperative agreements to one of
cooperative action.

Accordingly, the United States and its partners have developed a more
proactive approach to attack both ends of the problem. To curb demand,
the war on terrorism seeks to defeat terrorist groups in the short term,
while undermining terrorist ideology and support over the long term.
Against rogue states, international diplomatic pressure backed by threat
of force is aimed at isolating outlaw regimes. The experience in Iraq
shows the challenges of this policy when conducted with limited
international consensus.

On the supply front, two approaches are currently in play. The first is
to round up the relatively limited supply of fissile material. Threat
reduction techniques applied to the former Soviet states have been
extended on an international scale through the G-8 Global Threat
Reduction Initiative. A recent agreement between the U.S. and Russia to
enhance cooperation in the fight against nuclear terrorism is another
example.

The second approach is embodied by the Proliferation Security Initiative
(PSI), under which participating governments collaborate to interdict
shipments of components and material needed to construct weapons of mass
destruction. The slogan that PSI is "an activity, not an organization"
reflects the paradigm shift toward cooperative action. It was
cooperation under the PSI principles that led to the interception of the
/BBC China/ and the unraveling of the Khan network.

However, the black-market activities of A.Q. Khan may only be the tip of
the iceberg. As long as there is significant demand for nuclear
capability, suppliers will try to find ways to meet it. The
international community must be flexible in its approach in order to
confront the ever-changing nature of the nuclear supplier network. The
shift from cooperative agreements to cooperative action to curb both
demand and supply is a necessary ingredient for success.

Today's Nuclear Equation

/The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not
necessarily reflect those of the National Defense University, the U.S.
Air Force, or the United States government.
/

/"
/

Hierover ging dus die documentaire die ik laatst noemde.
http://www.cbc.ca/nuclearjihad/video.html

En er ligt wel degelijk een relatie tussen het geblunder van Lubbers en
de activiteiten van A.Q. Khan.
Waarschijnlijk ook de bron die Balkenende niet wil noemen vindt
waarschijnlijk hierin de oorsprong.

Henk Elegeert

/Zie ook:
http://usinfo.state.gov/journals/itps/0305/ijpe/ijpe0305.pdf