Rampen geprivatiseerd?

Henk Elegeert HmjE at HOME.NL
Sat Aug 19 03:02:00 CEST 2006

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Henk Vreekamp wrote:

> REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl
>
> Welzeker herinner ik me New Orleans - en daar was nog steeds een FEMA
> beschikbaar, de federale nooddienst. Die kwam in de picture omdat'ie zo
> slechts cq langzaam werkte en slordig omging met schade-uitkeringen.

Hier liggen de rampenplannen ergens in een
gemeentelijke lade, maar daar hadden we het niet over.

Overigens, deze kritiek algelezen?
http://www.sonic.net/sentinel/gvcon6.html

"FEMA - The Secret Government

By Harry V. Martin with research assistance from
David Caul

Copyright FreeAmerica and Harry V. Martin, 1995

Some people have referred to it as the "secret
government" of the United States. It is not an
elected body, it does not involve itself in public
disclosures, and it even has a quasi-secret budget
in the billions of dollars. This government
organization has more power than the President of
the United States or the Congress, it has the power
to suspend laws, move entire populations, arrest and
detain citizens without a warrant and hold them
without trial, it can seize property, food supplies,
transportation systems, and can suspend the
Constitution.

Not only is it the most powerful entity in the
United States, but it was not even created under
Constitutional law by the Congress. It was a product
of a Presidential Executive Order. No, it is not the
U.S. military nor the Central Intelligence Agency,
they are subject to Congress. The organization is
called FEMA, which stands for the Federal Emergency
Management Agency. Originally conceived in the
Richard Nixon Administration, it was refined by
President Jimmy Carter and given teeth in the Ronald
Reagan and George Bush Administrations.
"

> Maar de overheid had zich niet teruggetrokken zoals Zalm nu wenst.

Precies. Het gaat om het herstel van de aangerichte
schade voor de slachtoffers, en de directe
leefomgeving/omstandigheden (infrastructuur).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/01/AR2005090102261.html
"
OMB vs. Army Corps of Engineers
Critics Say Bush Undercut New Orleans Flood Control

By Jim VandeHei and Peter Baker
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, September 2, 2005; Page A16

President Bush repeatedly requested less money for
programs to guard against catastrophic storms in New
Orleans than many federal and state officials
requested, decisions that are triggering a partisan
debate over administration priorities at a time when
the budget is strained by the Iraq war.

Even with full funding in recent years, none of the
flood-control projects would have been completed in
time to prevent the swamping of the city, as
Democrats yesterday acknowledged. But they said
Bush's decision to hold down spending on fortifying
levees around New Orleans reflected a broader
shuffling of resources -- to pay for tax cuts and
the Iraq invasion -- that has left the United States
more vulnerable.
"

Henk Elegeert