Voorzitters Europese Parlement/Raad/Commissie belijden 'Vooruit'

Dr. Marc-Alexander Fluks fluks at DDS.NL
Fri Jun 3 14:31:20 CEST 2005

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Bron:  Europese Unie
Datum: 2 juni 2005

JOINT STATEMENT OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT, PRESIDENT OF
THE EUROPEAN COUNCIL AND PRESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION ON THE
NETHERLANDS REJECTION OF THE REFERENDUM ON THE TREATY ESTABLISHING A
CONSTITUTION FOR EUROPE

On June 1st, the President of the European Parliament Josep Borrell
Fontelles, President of the European Council Jean-Claude Juncker and
President of the European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso gave a joint
statement on the rejection of the referendum in the Netherlands on the
Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe.

"The people of the Netherlands, like the voters of France, have chosen to
say no to the ratification of the Constitutional Treaty.

"This is a choice that we respect. The result of the democratic ballot
taken in the Netherlands comes at the end of a rich and intense debate and
deserves a profound analysis, to which we must now dedicate the necessary
time.

"We remain convinced that the Constitution makes the European Union more
democratic, more effective and stronger, and that all Member States must
be able to express themselves on the project of the Constitutional Treaty.

"The fourteen Member States that have not yet had the chance to bring to a
conclusion the process of ratification are today faced with a situation in
which, although nine member states have ratified the constitutional treaty,
two Member States have rejected it. For this reason, the Presidency has
decided that the Council of 16 and 17 June could usefully carry out a
serious collective analysis of the situation.

"Furthermore, we hear the messages sent by the citizens of France and the
Netherlands on the European project and we note them well. The European
Institutions will listen to the concerns of European citizens and they
will come together to offer a response.

"We are confident that together and in partnership - national governments,
European institutions, political parties, civil society - we will know how
to find the means to move the European Union towards an enduring consensus
as to its identity, its objectives and its means. Because Europe goes on,
and its institutions will continue to function fully."

--------
(c) 2005 Europese Unie