software patenten: zo zou het uitwerken

Bart Meerdink bm_web at XS4ALL.NL
Thu Feb 24 13:59:13 CET 2005

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Een posting op slashdot.org werkt wellicht verhelderend over hoe in de
EU bedrijven meegesleept zouden kunnen worden in de juridische waanzin
van de VS.

Zeker als er enige onduidelijkheid is over wat wel en wat niet
patenteerbaar is. Erg duur om dat zelf in een rechtzaak uit te moeten
vinden.

http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=140459&cid=11764874

It's going to be traumatic... (Score:5, Interesting)
by ites (600337) on Thursday February 24, @05:44AM (#11764874)
(Last Journal: Thursday November 25, @09:20AM)

My Belgian company (which spent a couple of years developing a very
sophisticated SMS product) got a phone call and then an email from some
guy who has a US patent on a very broad and shallow aspect of our work.
His claim: you are totally infringing, stop selling your product and
sell mine. My answer: since when does a US patent apply in Belgium? Him:
Ah, in about... (checks watch) 18 months.

My point being: I've asked the EPO several times in the past whether I
could patent aspects of our company's software R&D, they have always
rejected this out of hand. I know that they have allowed software
patents anyhow, if described sufficiently bizarrely.

But if a flood of US software patents hits the European market it will
have the effect of killing the European technology business almost
overnight.

We have, so to speak, no immunity.