Holland staat op zijn strepen

Mark Giebels mark at GIEBELS.ORG
Tue Aug 30 11:16:01 CEST 2005

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

En terwijl de EU lekker ouderwets navelstarend protectionistisch reageert op de Chinese expansie, kiest de VS een veel positievere aanpak. Zorgen dat de economie van de VS mee profiteert van de groei in China en niet buitengesloten wordt, wat de EU blijkbaar juist wil. Vrijhandelscontracten dus ipv de grenzen dichtgooien. Ook omdat men de Chinezen niet onderschat, zie o.a. deze hearing over "The Emerging Chinese Advanced Technology Superstate":
http://www.uscc.gov/hearings/2005hearings/written_testimonies/05_21_22wrts/preeg_ernest_wrts.htm

Enkele quotes:

(2) The two principal “resource” indicators of advanced technology development are R&D expenditures and science and engineering graduates. Chinese R&D expenditures grew by 22 percent per year from 1995 to 2002, compared with 6 percent in the United States. Projected to 2005, Chinese expenditures will be higher than those of Japan, more than 60 percent of the EU level, and about 40 percent of the U.S. level. Chinese R&D is more heavily concentrated in manufacturing than is U.S. R&D, with 60 percent of the Chinese R&D performed by enterprises, 28 percent by government research institutions, and 10 percent by universities.

(3) Chinese science and doctoral degrees increased by 14 percent per year from 1995 to 2001, compared with minus 1 percent in the United States. Projected to 2005, annual Chinese doctoral degrees will be half that of the U.S. level. Chinese doctoral degrees in engineering grew 18 percent per year from 1995 to 2001, compared with minus 2 percent in the United States. Projected to 2005, Chinese engineering doctorates will be 70 percent higher than the U.S. level.

(8) The only practical way the United States can head off an East Asian preferential trading bloc, which excludes the United States, is through initiatives to create an Asia-Pacific free trade agreement, as agreed at summit level in Bogor in 1994. The centerpiece of such an agreement would be U.S.-China free trade, which although not feasible at this time, should be addressed through the formation of a high level U.S.-China study group to examine the economic costs and benefits of free trade between the United and China within the Asia-Pacific context.

(14) The final conclusions extrapolate the Chinese advanced technology experience over the past 10 years into a broader historical perspective ahead. Prevailing paradigms about the post-Cold War world are found inadequate. A revised and updated new order of international relationships will center on political, economic, and military power relationships increasingly dominated by three advanced technology superstates—the United States, the EU, and China—each a regional advanced technology hegemon within the North America/Caribbean, European, and East Asian regions, respectively. The three regions together include 52 percent of global population, 79 percent of GDP, and 85 percent of merchandise exports. India may rise to advanced technology superstate status within 10-20 years, as the South Asian advanced technology hegemon. Relationships among the three advanced technology hegemons are not yet well defined, however, and other regions of the world will face important adjustments as well.

Laten we hopen (en er vooral voor zorgen) dat de EU inderdaad 1 van die drie (of vier)  'advanced technology superstates' blijft. Ik heb er een hard hoofd in gezien de huidige koers...

Groeten,
Mark Giebels