[Fwd: [Marxism] Proposed EU Constitution says Malvinas (Falklands) belong to United Kingdom]

Antid Oto antidoto at HOME.NL
Fri Apr 29 17:05:07 CEST 2005

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Outrage at Falklands definition
By Elliot Gotkine
BBC News, Buenos Aires

Argentina has expressed outrage at plans to include the Falkland
Islands as a British overseas territory in the new European Union
constitution.

Foreign Minister Rafael Bielsa said he had ordered all 25 of
Argentina's EU ambassadors to present complaints.

Argentina has long claimed sovereignty over what it calls the Malvinas,
which have been in British hands since 1833. Its 1982 invasion sparked
a war during which around 650 Argentines and more than 250 Britons
died.

The all-out diplomatic assault on the EU's constitution has its roots
in an annex of the draft document relating to EU overseas territories.
Specifically, it says that the Falklands, along with nearby islands and
a chunk of Antarctica, are all part of Britain's overseas territories.

The UK's claim over these lands is nothing new but if they are
enshrined in the EU constitution Argentina fears that what has
traditionally been a bilateral dispute could go continental.

Mr Bielsa said his country totally rejected the inclusion of the
disputed territories in the draft document. "We have a dispute," he
said. "We will wait four, 40 or 400 years but the Malvinas are
Argentine and it will all be worked out. We have to have the same
patience as the colonial powers had."

He vowed to complain to Brussels but he also noted that if the
constitution was not approved by all 25 EU members then the row would
become academic.