Het onbehagen in de islam

Hein van Meeteren heinwvm at CHELLO.NL
Sat Sep 25 00:25:13 CEST 2004

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Henk Vreekamp wrote:
> Hierop is een korte reactie mogelijk: elke veroveraar, of'ie nu
> Alexander de Grote of Napoleon Bonaparte of VOC heette nam in z'n
> expeditieleger kroniekschrijvers etc. mee.

Tuurlijk, Vreekamp. Je hebt groot gelijk. Napoleon had niets met de
Verlichting te maken, en al die politieke theoretici, historici en
folosofen die dit beweren hebben gewoon géén gelijk.

> En om Verlichting te koppelen aan de opkomst van het kapitalisme lijkt me misbruik van Webers
> theorie: industrialisatie (aanvankelijk kinderarbeid etc.) is heel wat
> anders dan Verlichting.

[quote]After careful study, Weber came to the hypothesis that the
protestant ethic  broke the hold of tradition while it encouraged men to
apply themselves rationally to their work (Gerth and Mills, 1946).
Calvinism, he found, had developed a set of beliefs around the concept
of predestination.  It was believed by followers of Calvin that one
could not do good works or perform acts of faith to assure your place in
heaven.  (-----)  The protestant ethic therefore provided religious
sanctions that fostered a spirit of rigorous discipline, encouraging men
to apply themselves rationally to acquire wealth (Aron, 1970; Coser, 1977).
Weber studied non-Western cultures as well.  He found that several of
these pre-industrial societies had the technological infrastructure and
other necessary preconditions to begin capitalism and economic
expansion, however, capitalism failed to emerge (Gerth and Mills, 1946:
61).  The only force missing were the positive sanctions to abandon
traditional ways.  "By such a comparative analysis of causal sequences,
Weber tried to find not only the necessary but the sufficient conditions
of capitalism" (Gerth and Mills, 1946: 61). While Weber does not believe
that the protestant ethic was the only cause of the rise of capitalism,
he believed it to be a powerful force in fostering its emergence (Aron,
1970; Coser, 1977; Gerth and Mills, 1946).
[quote]