Rumsfeld doubts Saddam-Laden link

Henk Elegeert hmje at HOME.NL
Tue Oct 5 07:50:51 CEST 2004

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

"
Rumsfeld doubts Saddam-Laden link
By Justin Webb
BBC correspondent in Washington

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has cast doubt on
whether there was ever a relationship between Saddam Hussein
and al-Qaeda.

The alleged link was one of the justifications used by
President Bush for the invasion of Iraq.

In front of an audience in New York, Mr Rumsfeld was asked
about connections between Saddam and Osama Bin Laden. "To my
knowledge, I have not seen any strong, hard evidence that
links the two," he said.

No proof

Donald Rumsfeld's off-the-cuff comments are often very
revealing.

If he really meant what he said, it suggests that the Bush
administration is in the process of retreating from
previously held positions.

When asked about the putative link during a session at the
Council on Foreign Relations in New York, defence secretary
said: "I have seen the answer to that question migrate in
the intelligence community over a period of a year in the
most amazing way."

In the past, Mr Rumsfeld has spoken of credible information
about a link and Vice President Dick Cheney regularly goes
further and talks of Saddam Hussein having provided safe
harbour and sanctuary for al-Qaeda.

The idea that Saddam Hussein was a supporter of terrorism
has been one of the key justifications used by the
administration for his removal.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/3715396.stm

Published: 2004/10/04 22:52:28 GMT

© BBC MMIV
"
Ah kijk, da's nog eens wereldschokkend nieuws.

Wil men van de klus af nu er steeds minder een eindoplossing
in zicht lijkt?

Henk Elegeert