Bush begrijpen? Kijk naar acties Karl Rove

Cees Binkhorst cees at BINKHORST.XS4ALL.NL
Wed Feb 5 22:10:19 CET 2003

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

The steel tariff is one of these. It runs counter to the
administration's overall free-trade policies, but it also stands to
erode Democrats' support among unionized industrial workers in such
swing states as Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania.
Immigration policy is another of Rove's sectoral opportunities. It's
also a necessity: Rove has long been convinced -- rightly -- that
absent a successful outreach strategy to the fast-growing Latino
electorate, Republicans are doomed. Since the opening days of the
administration, Rove has concentrated particularly on liberalizing
immigration policy with Mexico -- and not even the clamor for greater
border security since September 11 has deterred him from his mission.
As with the steel tariff, he's been dealing with a business-labor
coalition: businesses in search of more immigrant workers, unions
bent on organizing them.
http://www.prospect.org/print/V13/7/meyerson-h.html

When I heard this story, it made me like Karl Rove. It made him sound
like a hero to children, and in my view, there’s no better person.
But I’ve never heard another story like this one, because people in
Washington, especially Rove’s friends, are utterly petrified to talk
about him.
http://www.ronsuskind.com/writing/esquire/esq_rove_0103.html

His target then was Senator John McCain who appeared to be within
striking distance of Dubya in South Carolina after the then-GOP
maverick's surprise upset victory in New Hampshire. Rove's operation
proceeded to target McCain with false stories: McCain was a stoolie
for his captors in the Hanoi Hilton (this from a lunatic self-
promoting Vietnam "veteran"); McCain fathered a black daughter out of
wedlock (a despicable reference to McCain's adopted Bangladeshi
daughter); Cindy McCain's drug "abuse"; and even McCain's
"homosexuality."
http://www.counterpunch.org/madsen1101.html

If this fails, expect the immediate invasion of Iraq, to begin as
soon as the polls show the republicans losing serious real ground in
the Senate and House elections.
http://www.counterpunch.org/keeney0713.html

that together he and Bush are forging a new Republican majority that
will rule the land for a generation
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,388904,00.html

As a result, Karl Rove knows that the battle for election 2004 will
be fought among GOP moderates, women and independents, because the
Bush campaign can't afford to lose even one red state.
How does this lead to the politically calculated, week-late Bush
apology?
Quite simply, the Bush right wing political pundits that Karl Rove
has on his leash are suddenly glorifying America's great tradition of
civil rights and telling Trent Lott to walk the plank.

But Rove is worried silly that if Bush is revealed for leading the
anti-minority, anti-civil rights jihad that he is really undertaking,
the suburban women and independents will jump to the Democratic
candidate in 2004, giving the Democrats a shot at picking up one of
the smaller marginal red states and winning the presidential
election.
http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/2002/12/13_Lott.html

Many of Bush's critics claim that he is not well-read. They say he
does not spend enough time reading policy statements and studying
long briefs.
 [But] Bush's honesty about intelligence and learning
is downright refreshing. Rather than faking understanding, he will
unashamedly admit that he isn't following. At one large conference,
Bush turned to New Mexico Governor George Johnson and said, "What are
they talking about?"
"I don't know," Johnson replied.
"You don't know a thing, do you?" Bush shot back.
"Not one thing," said Johnson.
"Neither do I," said Bush, and the two high-fived each other."
http://slate.msn.com/id/2076414/

We've got the Congress, we've got the White House, we've got the
Supreme Court, we've got the media in our pockets. And all the Dems
have to oppose us is a few predictable malcontents, an insignificant
peace movement (which we can always ruin with some of our undercover
guys engineering some violence), and some wackos writing on the
internet.
http://www.mikehersh.com/Karl_Roves_Election-Night_Diary.shtml

Aanmelden: stuur een email naar LISTSERV at nic.surfnet.nl met in het tekstveld alleen: SUBSCRIBE D66