Vrede in het Midden Oosten

Ad Huikeshoven adhuikeshoven at WANADOO.NL
Sat Mar 9 19:48:50 CET 2002

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Democraten en andere liefhebbers van Vrede

De Staat Israel heeft de Palestijnen reeds in 1967 verslagen en de
‘niet-toegewezen gebieden’ bezet. Het is onduidelijk waar Sjaron op
doelt als hij nu alsnog nog een keer de Palestijnen zou willen verslaan
in de oorlog die hij voert. Of zou hij bezig zijn met ‘God’s plan for
Israel’?

Hieronder een afschrift van een aangetekend schrijven gericht aan twaalf
ambassadeurs gedateerd en verzonden jongstleden maandag. Bij de brief
was een map met bijlagen ingesloten – deze ligt ter inzage bij mij
thuis. Generaal Anthony Zinni is onderweg naar Sjaron, Vice-President
Dick Cheney bezoekt vanaf morgen tien landen in het Midden-Oosten. Ik
zou in deze niet willen vallen voor post hoc,  ergo propter hoc. Afijn,
met elkaar praten over een meningsverschil is altijd beter dan elkaar de
hersens in slaan.

Ook dit jaar organiseren Rob en Elise weer een Paasmars voor Vrede onder
de leus ‘Kies voor Vrede’. De JD doet al mee. Wanneer D66? Was D66 niet
eveneens kritisch ten aanzien van Joints Trike Fighter?

Ambassadors of (in alphabetical order starting at the letter ‘s’) Saudi
Arabia, Syria,
United States of America, Egypt, France, Great Britain, Iraq, Israel,
Jordan, Lebanon and Russia and the representative of the Palestinian
Delegation at the International Capital of Justice and Peace

The Hague, March 4, 2002

Ladies and Gentlemen: Shalom, Peace, Salam!

Keep your head cool and your fist on the table. It might be better to
sit on your hands while you read on. For one time, be a very selfish
person and shout out: “I Want Peace Now!”.

I sincerely do wish to raise my first born child in a world in peace.
Mariëlle de Wit, the lady I married on Wednesday, May 23th, 2001, and I
received Johanna Maria Huikeshoven on Wednesday, January 23th, 2002 as a
present of G*d. We call her Hanna.

Peace is possible anytime. Even the de facto leader of  Saudi Arabia is
campaigning for peace these days. Ha’aretz, the Israeli newspaper,
called in a column heading Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia ‘Prince
of Peace’.  Maybe Israel, an associated member of the European Union,
will enter rather soon the Arab League – a committee for regional
cooperation.

Europe maintained peace on the continent by choosing to voluntarily
cooperate economically, creating a de facto political union by signing a
series of treaties over the years. Not a bad idea of the ‘Prince of
Peace’ to have some smart, intelligent, hard working and rich guys
joining the team of the Arab League.

I paid a visit to he Holy Land, Israel and Palestina, January 9th to
January 14th this year, carrying a precious gift to the people in the
Holy Land to be presented to PM Sharon and President Arafat. I left the
gift including a call for peace at the President’s office on January
11th 2002.

Hereby I do present to you a file of documents I collected before,
during and after my mission for peace to the Holy Land this year.
Special attention is called for ‘God’s plan for Israel’. I got a copy of
Yaakov (his full name might be Rockwell Lance – presumed to be the
author of the pamphlet) on Thursday morning, January 10th, 2002. He
e-mailed me “Peace will only come when the Prince of peace rules. Even
today, the enemies of Israel prepare for war” in a reply to some
questions I raised regarding the contents of the pamphlet.

I sincerely do doubt very much if Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon,
Palestina and Syria are preparing for war against Israel. For the least,
Egypt signed a peace treaty with Israel – after several millennia of
conflict. I haven’t seen any fact that could support the conclusion that
the other neighbours of Israel are preparing for war against Israel. At
least most of them don’t even have the means to do that, don’t they? For
sure, the international community will not accept a breach of the
international borders of the Holy Land of Israel and Palestina.

In my humble opinion, only true and comprehensive negotiations can
resolve the current conflict. For sure, someone needs a very big mind to
reconcile the positions of ‘God’s plan for Israel’ and the amended
Charter of the P.L.O. ‘The Palestinian Vision of Peace’ as published in
the village newspaper on February, 3rd, 2002 could be a better proposal
for negotiations. A ‘Greater Israel’ could become fact without war by
voluntarily entering of Israel in the Arab League.

Professional negotiations are conducted in several phases. As
introduction the people involved in the negotiations will do have to get
acquainted with each other. They do have to understand each others
positions and do have to find out what is most important to them. At
least they have to, if all parties involved do wish to create a win-win
outcome for all. Nobody can demand concessions from anyone else if the
agreements are to be voluntarily reached by all parties committing
themselves to the agreements.

The three phases as regards content in professional negotiations are
imaging of the current problematic situation to which parties want to
create a solution, formation of a judgement by finding criteria on which
the solutions can be tested and lastly a decision process. Negotiators
and facilitators of negotiations do have to refrain from jumping to
conclusions until that very last phase in the overall process. Proposing
any outcome or solution even before negotiators and facilitators have
got a chance to get acquainted to each other for sure doesn’t help to
reach a win-win situation for all.

Before ending this letter I would like to thank a few people. I
appreciated very much talking with co-workers of  some of the embassies
over the past couple of weeks. I would like to thank all those who were
ready to hand over some documents or were willing to direct me to places
were I could find them. I would like to say thank you to the gatekeeping
officer at the American Embassy for offering the Holland-America
friendship badge to Hanna, by saying Peace Brother.

What about having a cup of coffee one of these days and get acquainted?

Yours truly,

Adrianus (Ad) Henricus (Henry) Huikeshoven

Vondelstraat 33
2513 EN  ’s-Gravenhage
telephone/fax: +31(070)3608510
e-mail:  adhuikeshoven at wanadoo.nl