FWD: SIGN ON LETTER TO SUPPORT NAC/ICJ RESOLUTIONS

Ak Malten akmalten at CORNNET.NL
Thu Oct 14 06:47:40 CEST 1999

Beste Mensen,

graag ondersteun ik deze actie. En ik hoop dat meerdere organisaties
ook de tijd en moeite nemen deze brief te ondertekenen en hiervoor een
e-mail naar Tracy Moavero te sturen.

Bij voorbaat dank voor de genomen tijd en moeite,

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Peace,
or saved by
the pigeon,

Ak Malten,

Global Anti-Nuclear Alliance

---origineel bericht in het Engels (sorry) volgt---
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 16:29:02 -0400
From: "Tracy Moavero" <paintl at igc.org>
Sender: owner-abolition-caucus at igc.org
Subject: SIGN ON LETTER TO SUPPORT NAC/ICJ RESOLUTIONS
To: <abolition-caucus at igc.org>, <peace-caucus at igc.org>

Dear friends,

As the First (Disarmament) Committee of the U.N. General Assembly gets
underway, now is the time for us to show our support for two important
resolutions under consideration. Most of you will remember from previous
years the resolutions supporting the "New Agenda" and International Court of
Justice advisory opinion. We are seeking *organizational* signatures, not
individuals. We need your organization's signature by Monday, October 25 so
the letters can be distributed in advance of the early November votes. The
letter will go to every delegation of the First Committee. When we did this
last year, we got 92 signatures, and one of the New Agenda Coalition
delegations told us that this was quite helpful.

Tracy Moavero
Peace Action International Office

Sign-on Letter to Support the New Agenda and ICJ Resolutions:

Your Excellency,

As citizens’ organizations working to end the threat of nuclear war, we urge
your government to support two important resolutions which are before the
United Nations General Assembly First Committee for consideration.

The “New Agenda” resolution reflects our concerns about the urgent need for
complete nuclear disarmament. The concrete steps in it lay important
groundwork for moving stalled processes and creating new opportunities for
progress. Far from hindering any existing efforts, this resolution
strengthens them by taking them out of isolation and bringing them together
to create momentum. The sponsors’ commitment to building consensus is clear
this year’s text, which take into consideration concerns raised by some
delegations when this resolution was considered last year.

We also support the resolution affirming the 1996 advisory opinion of the
International Court of Justice that there exists a legal obligation to
pursue and conclude nuclear disarmament negotiations. As the United Nations
becomes increasingly important in enforcing the rule of law to build and
keep peace, this resolution strengthens the position of the U.N. in that
regard. Anything less than a strong affirmative vote would send an ambiguous
message about the respect for international law.

The timing of these resolutions is crucial. We are distressed not only by
the slow pace of progress toward disarmament, but even more so by disturbing
signs that nuclear arsenals are becoming even more entrenched in the
security policies of some nations. Failure of the U.N. General Assembly to
strongly support these resolutions at this time would send a dangerous
signal to those who are trying to invigorate nuclear weapons programs.

We recognize the vital role of the United Nations in fostering nuclear
disarmament and see ourselves as partners in those efforts. While the
undersigned organizations are from many different parts of the globe, we are
working together to build support for these resolutions. NGO representatives
will be using the Internet to send up-to-the-minute updates, allowing
organizations around the world to closely follow First Committee proceedings
and plan their work accordingly.

We were pleased that the fifty-third session of the General Assembly
overwhelmingly adopted these resolutions, confirming the broad support –
among both civil society and governments – for swift and concerted action
for complete nuclear disarmament. We await similar and even stronger results
this year.

Nuclear disarmament is often noted as an “ultimate goal.” The time has come
for that “ultimate goal” to be realized.

Sincerely,

[your organization]

__________________________
Tracy Moavero
Peace Action International Office
866 United Nations Plaza, #4053
New York NY 10017-1822
USA
Tel + 1 212 750 5795
Fax + 1 212 750 5849
Paintl at igc.org
www.peace-action.org

  The Global Anti-Nuclear Alliance (GANA) -- is a member of
  The Abolition 2000 Network, A Global Network to Eliminate
  Nuclear Weapons

Address: c/o Ak Malten
        Irisstraat 134          Tel:+31.70.3608905
        2565TP The Hague        Fax:+31.70.3608905
        The Netherlands         E-Mail: akmalten at cornnet.nl

GANA's website:

       http://www.cornnet.nl/~akmalten/welcome.html

The ICJ Advisory Opinion on Threat or Use of Nuclear Weapons,
 **including ALL the Separate Opinions of ALL the Judges**,
    the Canberra Report, the CTBT Text and Protocol,
         the NPT text and the 1925 Gas Protocol,
              the Nuremberg Principles and
   the MODEL Nuclear Weapons Convention can be found at:

       http://www.cornnet.nl/~akmalten/docs.html