Ontslag Europese Commissie

Daniel.HANEKUYK at DG3.CEC.BE Daniel.HANEKUYK at DG3.CEC.BE
Tue Mar 16 18:23:34 CET 1999

Bijgaand de tekst van de Commissie over zijn ontslag:
Statement by President Santer to the Conference of
Presidents at the European Parliament (16/03/99)
I promised that we would act on the report by the
Committee of Independent Experts. Yesterday the
Commission assumed its responsibilities.
I would like to say a few things on its behalf.

1. The report considers a small number of specific
cases which have recently attracted criticism from
the European Parliament. The cases are analysed in
great detail and, while the findings reveal certain
malfunctions and one instance of favouritism, I
would point out that there is no suggestion that any
Member of the Commission was involved in fraud
or corruption or stood to gain personally.

2. I note that on the basis of a tiny number of cases of
fraud and malfunctioning, which did indeed merit
criticism, the Committee_s report paints a picture
of total absence of responsibility on the part of the
institution and its officials. This picture is
distorted. I consider the tone of the report's
conclusions to be wholly unjustified.

3. I do not accept that four years of work, during
which this Commission has achieved its full policy
programme, can be reduced to six cases of
irregularities, four of which date back to before
1995. I would also have hoped that the Committee
of Independent Experts might have attached
appropriate significance to the very substantial
reforms carried out by this Commission since 1995
and the ambitious programme announced to
Parliament last January.

4. The Commission_s decision yesterday was a
political act.  We have taken our responsibilities,
even if we judge the report to be unbalanced.
Sometimes criticism can be salutory ; we must use
this crisis as a catalyst for deep and lasting reform
in all the European institutions.  I am hopeful that
this crisis will help to reestablish the smooth
functioning of the institutions.

5. I have informed the President of the European
Council of the decision taken yesterday.  I pointed
out to him that, in line with the Treaties, we will
continue to perform our functions until our
replacement is provided for under the relevant
procedures.