[D66] Doug Rushkoff Is Ready to Renounce the Digital Revolution

René Oudeweg roudeweg at gmail.com
Thu May 18 08:34:09 CEST 2023

wired.com
Doug Rushkoff Is Ready to Renounce the Digital Revolution
Malcolm Harris
24–30 minutes

The media studies building at Queens College is small and dark, with low
ceilings and narrow corridors. It was built more than a century ago as a
residential school for incorrigible boys, and a certain atmosphere of
neglect remains. When I visit on a January weekday to see Douglas
Rushkoff, who teaches here, he guides me around a stack of fallen
ceiling tiles to his office in a back corner of the first floor. The
Wi-Fi in the room is spotty, so he uses an Ethernet adapter to plug his
laptop into the wall. The only evidence that we haven’t traveled back to
the ’90s is that when it’s time for class, no students show up. Instead,
Rushkoff opens his laptop and brings up a grid of faceless black boxes.

This is the first course meeting of “Digital Economics: Crypto, NFTs and
the Blockchain.” Rushkoff is a good sport about teaching on Zoom, though
it’s a shame his class of mostly undergraduates can’t fully appreciate
the 62-year-old media-studies-professor look that he’s absolutely
nailed: black V-neck, cropped gray hair. He launches into an impassioned
half-hour lecture in which he urges his students, only three of whom
have their cameras on, to see through the social construction of
money—he pulls out a dollar bill and waves it in front of the laptop
screen, saying, “This is not money. This is a piece of paper that we use
to represent money”—and to probe what he calls the “big question” of his
life’s work: how power travels across media landscapes.

Outside of this Queens College classroom, Rushkoff is a widely cited
theorist of the internet, known for his prolific and influential
writings on culture and economics. He gets the occasional student who
recognizes his work—“He’s a famous author,” one writes on Rate My
Professor, “just do a Google search”—but most of them are busy people
logging in to class from their phones, more interested in fulfilling
their degree requirements than in the dense collage of Rushkoff’s book
covers taped to the wall behind his desk.

That his class may not be his students’ first priority doesn’t bother
Rushkoff much. He’s made a point of landing at City University of New
York in Queens after a teaching stint at the far more expensive,
prestige-mongering, private New York University. In a portion of his
lecture, he hints at the trajectory his intellectual life has taken:

“I was pretty freaking excited in the ’90s about the possibilities for a
new kind of peer-to-peer economy. What we would build that would be like
a TOR network of economics, the great Napsterization of economics in a
digital environment,” he tells his students. But more recently, he
continues, he’s turned his attention to something else that this new
digital economy has created: “It made a bunch of billionaires and a
whole lot of really poor, unhappy people.”

This kind of rhetoric is part of a recent, decisive shift in direction
for Rushkoff. For the past 30 years, across more than a dozen nonfiction
books, innumerable articles, and various media projects about the state
of society in the internet age, Rushkoff had always walked a tightrope
between optimism and skepticism. He was one of the original enthusiasts
of technology’s prosocial potential, charting a path through the digital
landscape for those who shared his renegade, anti-government spirit. As
Silicon Valley shed its cyberpunk soul and devolved into an incubator of
corporate greed, he continued to advocate for his values from within.
Until now. Last fall, with the publication of his latest book, Survival
of the Richest: Escape Fantasies of the Tech Billionaires, Rushkoff all
but officially renounced his membership in the guild of spokespeople for
the digital revolution. So what happened?

It is, generally speaking, a difficult time to maintain a straight face
as a diehard advocate of decentralization. A couple of months before I
come to see Rushkoff, the cryptocurrency exchange FTX, run by a cabal of
tasteless pyramid schemers blathering platitudes about art and
community, collapsed, torching billions of dollars in the process. These
internet capitalists proved to be worse guardians of the public interest
than even the corporate robber barons of yore. (Some weeks after my
visit, Silicon Valley Bank failed and nearly dragged the global
financial system down along with it—a direct result of the Trump
administration’s deregulation agenda.)

Confronted with such irrefutable evidence, Rushkoff isn’t just lying low
or changing the subject the way perennial techno-optimists often do. His
conversion is deeper. “I find, a lot of times, digital technologies are
really good at exacerbating the problem while also camouflaging the
problem,” he tells the black boxes that represent his students. “They
make things worse while making it look like something’s actually
changed.” Still, as he talks, I can occasionally catch a glimpse of
Rushkoff reverting into his former persona: the inveterate Gen X
techno-optimist, the man who can’t resist the untested promise of ever
newer tools. Near the end of class, he starts instructing his students
to not use ChatGPT to write their assignments, then halts abruptly, as
if unable to go on. “Well, actually,” he says, reconsidering, “we’ll
figure it out.”

Rushkoff’s CUNY job is a sort of homecoming. He was born in Queens, and
he associates his early years with ’60s communitarian-style neighborhood
barbecues. Later, his family moved an hour north to Scarsdale, where he
recalls groomed suburban yards and neoliberal values. After graduating
from Princeton in 1983 with a degree in English and theater, he took
inspiration from Bertolt Brecht and went to CalArts for an MFA in
directing. He’d planned for a life on Broadway, but the theatrical world
struck him as uptight, traditional, and hostile to his experimental
instincts. All the cool people were moving to the Bay Area to mess with
computers. There he went too.

Rushkoff got his first star turn as the nation’s guide to Generation X.
In 1994, when he was 33, he published his debut book, Cyberia: Life in
the Trenches of Hyperspace. Through detailed and colorful portraits of
cyberpunks, ravers, and virtual reality pioneers, the work introduced
mainstream readers to the people creating what was then an underground
culture. Rushkoff made the media rounds as an outspoken representative
of this new youth scene; in the introduction to The GenX Reader, he
menaced “Boomers” in the name of “Busters”: Whether you like it or not,
we are the thing that will replace you. Writing at the cutting edge of
technology and society gave him endless opportunities to come up with
buzzwords, for which he evinced a special talent. His second book, Media
Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture, helped popularize the concept
of “memes” going “viral.”

In Cyberia, Rushkoff tried to conjure an epochal synthesis out of his
dispatches from the nascent digital subculture: “Things like virtual
reality, Smart Bars, hypertext, the WELL, role-playing games, DMT,
Ecstasy, house, fractals, sampling, anti-Muzak, technoshamanism,
ecoterrorism, morphogenesis, video cyborgs, Toon Town, and Mondo 2000,”
he excitedly prophesied in the book, “are what slowly pull our
society—even our world—past the event horizon of the great attractor at
the end of time.” This was high-quality, uncut cyber-futurism, and
people ate it up. Others in his cohort, such as experimental theorist
artists Genesis P-Orridge and R. U. Sirius, dragged out remnants of the
counterculture into the ’90s, but Rushkoff gained wider prominence by
keeping one foot in the straight world, where he forecast the cultural
and social implications of emerging technology for everyday people.
Soon, the cyber thesis that people would live much of their 21st-century
lives “online” turned into cyber fact.

Few thinkers are as consistently productive as Rushkoff—since the
mid-nineties he’s put out a book roughly every other year—and for
readers who can keep up, that output serves as a real-time tracking of
his ideological trajectory, like a radar screen revealing in regular
pulses the arc of a missile. Ping: There he is. Ping: There he is. Ping:
There he is. Hanging out with Rushkoff for a day, I found that he is as
prolific in conversation as in writing, and that the stream of the
discussion moved steadily forward, even when I tried to steer him toward
the past.

In the early aughts, Rushkoff was no longer young, but he kept his
attention on youth culture. His fidelity to both sides of generational
tension made him a uniquely credible narrator. Merchants of Cool, his
2001 Frontline documentary, is a brilliantly executed crash course in
critical media analysis. (I watched the movie in my high school’s
required “living skills” class, and its smart dissection of the
advertising industrial complex had us rapt.) The doc was such a hit that
PBS brought Rushkoff back for two more shows: The Persuaders (2004) and
Generation Like (2014). Neither condescending nor dull, these movies
insist on treating kids like real people.

Rushkoff’s work also contained resolutely feminist ideas at a time of
reactionary backlash and open sexual abuse. Harvey Weinstein ran
Hollywood; Jeffrey Epstein ran science philanthropy. Rushkoff’s
Frontline specials, meanwhile, are virtuosic in the way they expose
shifts in capitalist demand for sexualized young teens. In Merchants of
Cool, he shows talent agents cooing over a made-up and skimpily clad
13-year-old, asking the girl about her screen age range. “I’ve been told
I look 17,” she tells them with mixed pride, and they note it down
approvingly. In Generation Like, a mom explains that she posts full-body
pictures of her would-be-influencer young daughter because those get
more likes. Rushkoff doesn’t place blame on teens or girls; instead, he
explains how impersonal corporate forces act on people. This thoughtful
orientation is one reason his early work holds up so well.

“Back when I got started in digital,” Rushkoff tells me after his class,
using the word in a charmingly antiquated way, “it was like saying you
were going to play Dungeons and Dragons for your career.” But as
Rushkoff’s area of expertise—the nexus between youth, advertising, and
technology—transformed into one of America’s leading industries, he
found himself an odd duck in a pond filled with increasingly rich and
powerful techno-optimists. Many of Rushkoff’s professional peers,
including Clay Shirky, who wrote Here Comes Everybody, and Chris
Anderson, former editor of this magazine and author of The Long Tail,
have refreshed their commitment to Silicon Valley with each innovation
cycle: Shirky is now an administrator at New York University
specializing in educational tech, and Anderson founded companies for
drones and robotics. Rushkoff has likewise stayed open to new
technologies, but unlike his peers, he never stopped asking how each new
discovery might be misused. He credits a devotion to spiritual humanism
and his related practice of Judaism, as he explains in his 2004 book
Nothing Sacred: The Truth About Judaism, with keeping him one step
removed from the would-be-god transhumanists.

With his credentials, Rushkoff could probably have nabbed an industry
gig; the dreadlocked computer scientist Jaron Lanier, who has also been
outspoken on the antihuman effects of tech platforms, took research
roles with Silicon Graphics and then Microsoft. But Rushkoff maintained
critical distance, and his writing began to shift focus to the economy
and the stultifying power of the corporate form, as with Life, Inc.: How
the World Became a Corporation and How to Take It Back (2009) and
Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age (2010).
Rushkoff describes this period as his “first break” with his Silicon
Valley contemporaries. “Technology was this great human thing,” he tells
me, referencing the creative and open-minded culture of psychedelics and
raves. Then, “Wired magazine and capitalism and extraction and
behaviorism and finance all killed it.” (Rushkoff clearly has a sore
spot about this publication, which he never wrote for.)

“Money was a great feedback loop and positive reinforcer,” he continues,
“because the more dehumanizing you make the tech, the more money you
make.” To his horror, Rushkoff saw that the once renegade web was
pushing people toward predictability and conformism. His utopian Cyberia
had been betrayed by monopolists seeking to recentralize control.

proposed solutions firmly in line with his longstanding commitment to
decentralization. He held at the time that the government should take a
step back and allow change to appear at the grassroots level. In a
keynote address at the 2008 Personal Democracy Forum, Rushkoff called
for presidential candidate Barack Obama to promote solar power not by
state fiat but by deregulation. The government needed to move “out of
the way of all those people who are ready to implement solar power
themselves,” he said. Two months and five days later, Lehman Brothers
collapsed, signaling the peak of the 2008 financial crisis and
dramatizing the need for a new social code.

In October 2011, when the rapidly spreading Occupy Wall Street protests
were under scrutiny from establishment media, Rushkoff published some of
the first words of support for the movement in the mainstream press.
“Anyone who says he has no idea what these folks are protesting is not
being truthful,” he wrote in a column for CNN. “Whether we agree with
them or not, we all know what they are upset about, and we all know that
there are investment bankers working on Wall Street getting richer while
things for most of the rest of us are getting tougher.”

As a decentralized movement, Occupy appealed to Rushkoff, and pulled
him, like many other thinkers of the time, into the realm of political
struggle. In the years that followed, he would delve further into class
analysis. His work became less interested in the progression of society
toward the new, and more interested in the conflict between groups of
people defined in economic terms.

He hadn’t yet relinquished his belief that the common person could wield
tech for their own ends. Program or Be Programmed suggests that readers
learn to code; in Life Inc. and Present Shock (2013), he endorses
alternative currencies. In Throwing Rocks at the Google Bus: How Growth
Became the Enemy of Prosperity (2016), he writes approvingly of
BitTorrent, Bitcoin, and Wikipedia as platforms that don’t depend on
venture capital. Always critical of advertising, he never fell for the
flashy promises of Google and Facebook’s Web 2.0, but his soft spot for
decentralization never seemed to calcify. Even as he cataloged
yesterday’s failures with clear eyes, he couldn’t help holding out hope
that tomorrow’s tech would be different, that the web could live up to
its potential to create a better and more interesting world.

I first encountered Rushkoff’s writing around this time, in 2010, while
I was working for a site called Shareable.net. The site’s premise was
that connecting everything and everyone to the web would allow people to
freely lend the stuff they already owned, creating further abundance for
all. Room-sharing platforms would reduce housing costs, and ride-sharing
platforms would reduce the number of cars on the road. Rushkoff was a
proponent of reorganizing the internet according to peer-to-peer
principles, and he became one of the site’s most popular contributors.
As platforms like Airbnb and Uber took over, leading the world into a
new age of inequality and increased resource consumption, his dream of
participatory decentralization died hard. But even amid mounting
cognitive dissonance, certain parts of Rushkoff’s faith held out.

On reflection, he says, “I blamed capitalism and held the technology
itself innocent.”

Rushkoff’s latest book, Survival of the Richest, which was published
last fall, marks a subtle but major evolution in his thought. In the
opening pages, he refers to himself offhandedly as a “Marxist media
theorist.” After a career in service to the idea that a reconciliation
between the worlds of Cyberia and Gaia was possible, Rushkoff has
finally chosen a side.

The book starts with a personal anecdote. In 2017, Rushkoff accepted an
invitation to give a keynote speech at a fancy resort, an easy
supplement to his public-sector income. But his audience turned out not
to be the typical crowd of white-collar managers; instead, he was
confronted with five ultra-wealthy hedge fund guys sitting around a
table. And they didn’t want Rushkoff’s standard media theorist spiel;
they wanted him to provide solutions for a hypothetical postapocalyptic
scenario they called The Event. “Where should we locate our bunker
complexes?” they asked, and “How do we secure the loyalty of our private
guards once money becomes valueless?” Yikes.

Despite occasionally identifying as a futurist, Rushkoff had not gamed
out any Event-style scenarios. He riffed. How to make sure your head of
security doesn’t slit your throat tomorrow? “Pay for his daughter’s bat
mitzvah today,” he said. His suggestions didn’t go over particularly
well, and the conversation turned out to be more consequential for him
than for the survivalists. That moment, he tells me, prompted a “second
break” with techno-optimism, one that would sever his alliance even to
tech itself, and finally bring him home to Queens.

The bulk of Survival of the Richest isn’t about apocalypse escape routes
for the super-wealthy. It’s preoccupied with something Rushkoff calls
The Mindset, which roughly translates to “the way Silicon Valley
technocrats think.” The Mindset is about a strategy of acceleration
without a destination. It’s about blowing up humanity’s corpus of
existing knowledge in favor of something—anything—new. In this
relentless drive, Rushkoff perceives a self-destructive impulse.
“Instead of just lording over us forever,” he writes, “the billionaires
at the top of these virtual pyramids actively seek the endgame. Like the
plot of a Marvel blockbuster, the structure of The Mindset requires an
endgame. Everything must resolve to a one or a zero, a winner or loser,
the saved or the damned.” This isn’t just Facebook’s old “Move fast and
break things” motto; it’s Zuckerberg’s personal mantra: “Domination!”
Why are the world’s richest people obsessed with preparing for the
apocalypse? Because they’re edging us all toward it. It’s as if,
Rushkoff writes, they’re trying to build a car that goes fast enough to
escape from its own exhaust.

Who is afflicted with The Mindset? The archetypal subject, Rushkoff
writes, was Jeffrey Epstein: with a private island, an elite coterie of
enablers and protectors, and detailed plans to impregnate 20 women at a
time. Rushkoff never met Epstein, but he once wandered into his distant
orbit via the celebrity literary agent John Brockman. The book recounts
a dinner party Rushkoff attended at Brockman’s home that included the
evolutionary biology crank Richard Dawkins. Dawkins proceeded to mock
Rushkoff for believing in a “potentially moral universe,” to the
chuckles of the assembled dignitaries. (When Epstein’s full crimes came
to light, Rushkoff flashed back to this conversation—a rejection of
morality, indeed!) Epstein is certainly an extreme example. But when
Elon Musk talks about his own nine (?) kids as a solution to
underpopulation, one suspects Rushkoff is on to something.

In Survival of the Richest, Rushkoff burns the last bridges linking him
to the techno-solutionist crowd. Whole Earth impresario and fellow tech
media guru Stewart Brand comes in for particularly harsh criticism.
Though a decade earlier Rushkoff had counted Brand among his close
intellectual collaborators, now he endorsed Timothy Leary’s excoriation
of Brand as a petty leader of “a few smart but psychosexually immature
white men who wanted all the benefits of being sealed up in their
perfectly controlled and responsive environments—without ever having to
face the messy, harsh reality of the real world.” During a time of
intensifying wealth polarization, Brand nabbed 42 million dollars from
Jeff Bezos to fund a giant clock. Meanwhile, Rushkoff transformed into a
middle-aged Marxist. While much of his cohort worked with Netflix to put
out the insipid documentary The Social Dilemma, Rushkoff’s perceptive
films stream for free on PBS. These days, the direction of his work fits
with his thought in a way that the solutionist juggling of his earlier
career never could.

A harsh critic might accuse Rushkoff of having played both sides, given
that his ideas have found some overlap with the latest—and perhaps
worst—generation of techno-capitalists. But this would be unfair.
Rushkoff has always played for what he calls “Team Human.” What’s
changed is not his loyalties, but his understanding of what can be
included in humanism. “Team Human doesn’t reject technology,” he wrote
in his 2019 book of the same title. “Artificial intelligence, cloning,
genetic engineering, virtual reality, robots, nanotechnology,
bio-hacking, space colonization, and autonomous machines are all likely
coming, one way or another. But we must take a stand and insist that
human values are folded into the development of each and every one of
them.” Only a few years later, here he is rejecting not just these
technologies, but technology writ large as a solution to our problems.
(That is to say, he no longer talks about humanizing space colonies.)

Over noodle soup at a cheap Chinese place off the Queens College campus,
I ask Rushkoff how he feels about the industry now. “It’s not just Look
what they did to my song,” he says. “It’s that the song itself is
corrupt.” He struggles to find a break in his monologuing to slurp
before his bowl goes cold. “I’ve come to see these technologies as
intrinsically antihuman. How far back do we have to go to find
technology that’s not about controlling nature? You have to go back to
fucking Indigenous people and permaculture. That’s the future.”

I push Rushkoff to say more about the personal aspects of this second
break, what drove him to reject Tech with a capital T. What brought him
here, to a public college in Queens, while many of his old peers stayed
close to Silicon Valley and its money? He takes an uncharacteristic pause.

“There is that psychosocial component,” he sighs. “There’s a domination
mentality, and a fear of women and nature and earthworms.” He pauses
again. “I might have had that. I was a little nerd boy and scared of
girls and teased and pushed down stairs and all that, and virtual worlds
feel safe. As I grew up, I realized, oh, that’s just death.” The
dramatic comment is classic Rushkoff, but I understand that his feeling
of pioneering excitement in the days of the early web, one strong enough
to fuel him for decades, has finally curdled into shame and disgust.

For as long as I’d followed Rushkoff’s work, I had seen circling within
it the twin wolves of criticism and hope, kept apart and alive in a way
no other writers in the tech world have managed. Now the lupine duel has
finally resolved, and the cyberwolf of techno-optimism registers its
final processes as it lies twitching in a pool of its own coolant.

At this moment of near insurmountable crisis, there’s a steady demand in
the ideas market for techno-solutionist commentators. Rushkoff has
officially reduced the supply by one. You won’t find him advising anyone
on how to outsource work to “AI” or dim the sun. “Like the
consumer-driven, growth-based capitalism on which The Mindset is
premised, these solutions usually involve finding new resources,
exploiting them, selling them, and then disposing of them so more can be
mined, manufactured, and sold,” he writes in Survival of the Richest.
Arguing against both Elon Musk and the Green New Deal, Rushkoff
concludes, “Degrowth is the only surefire way to reduce humanity’s
carbon footprint.” It’s not a popular position or one you can slap a
neologism on and sell. He’s given up waiting for promising technologies
to resolve our society’s core contradictions.

So what answers does Rushkoff offer? His programmatic conclusions in
Survival are surprisingly conventional: “Buy local, engage in mutual
aid, and support cooperatives. Use monopoly law to break up
anticompetitive behemoths, environmental regulation to limit waste, and
organized labor to promote the rights of gig workers. Reverse tax policy
so that those receiving passive capital gains on their wealth pay higher
rates than those actively working for their income.” This is a lot like
what you’d hear from certain left-wing corners of the Democratic Party.
A bit staid for Rushkoff, maybe, but that doesn’t make it wrong.

For Rushkoff these days, Queens College is the physical representation
of an alternative mindset. Back at the media studies building, he guides
me down to a room in the basement. Here, in a far corner, he has created
a respectable group conference setup by moving a few tables into a U
configuration facing a screen. A bank of computers and a salvaged
recording booth sit among a chaotic pile of old electronics pieces. It
feels like Rushkoff is preparing for some of his students, maybe one of
the three who turned their cameras on in class, to show up and DIY a
podcast or a video blog. This is his legacy: an inveterate cyberpunk,
offering Gen Z under-supervised access to a room full of communications
tools. It’s the very opposite of a billionaire’s end-of-the-world
bunker. “It’s something, right?” Rushkoff says, looking around at the
possibilities. “I think maybe this is where I’m supposed to be.”

Let us know what you think about this article. Submit a letter to the
editor at mail at wired.com.