[D66] AI: GPT-4 System Card (pdf)

René Oudeweg roudeweg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 08:01:07 CEST 2023

https://cdn.openai.com/papers/gpt-4-system-card.pdf

GPT-4 System Card
OpenAI
March 23, 2023
Abstract

Large language models (LLMs) are being deployed in many domains of our
lives ranging from browsing, to voice assistants, to coding assistance
tools, and have potential for vast societal impacts.[1, 2 , 3, 4 , 5, 6,
7] This system card analyzes GPT-4, the latest LLM in the GPT family
of models.[ 8, 9, 10 ] First, we highlight safety challenges presented
by the model’s limitations (e.g., producing convincing text that is
subtly false) and capabilities (e.g., increased adeptness at providing
illicit advice, performance in dual-use capabilities, and risky emergent
behaviors). Second, we give a high-level overview of the safety
processes OpenAI adopted to prepare GPT-4 for deployment. This spans our
work across measurements, model-level changes, product- and system-level
interventions (such as monitoring and policies), and external expert
engagement. Finally, we demonstrate that while our mitigations and
processes alter GPT-4’s behavior and prevent certain kinds of misuses,
they are limited and remain brittle in some cases. This points to the
need for anticipatory planning and governance.[11]