[D66] [JD: 16] KLARA AND THE SUN

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Mar 10 21:46:02 CET 2021

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/books/review/klara-and-the-sun-kazuo-ishiguro.html

fiction

  A Humanoid Who Cares For Humans, From the Mind of Kazuo Ishiguro

Credit...Thomas Danthony

When you purchase an independently reviewed book through our site, we
earn an affiliate commission.

By Radhika Jones

  * Published Feb. 23, 2021Updated March 1, 2021

*KLARA AND THE SUN*
By Kazuo Ishiguro

About halfway through “Klara and the Sun,” a woman meeting Klara for the
first time blurts out the kind of quiet-part-out-loud line we rely on to
get our bearings in a novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. “One never knows how to
greet a guest like you,” she says. “After all, are you a guest at all?
Or do I treat you like a vacuum cleaner?”

This is Ishiguro’s eighth novel, and Klara, who narrates it, is an
Artificial Friend, a humanoid machine — short dark hair; kind eyes;
distinguished by her powers of observation — who has come to act as
companion for 14-year-old Josie. Like that childhood stalwart Corduroy,
she’d been sitting in a store, hoping to be chosen by the right child.
AFs aren’t tutors. They’re not babysitters (though they’re sometimes
chaperones), nor servants (though they’re expected to take commands).
They’re nominally friends, but not equals. “You said you’d never get an
AF,” Josie’s friend Rick says, accusingly — which makes Klara the mark
of some rite of passage they didn’t want to accede to. Her ostensible
purpose is to help get Josie through the lonely and difficult years
until college. They are lonely because in Josie’s world, most kids don’t
go to school but study at home using “oblongs.” They are difficult
because Josie suffers from an unspecified illness, about which her
mother projects unspecified guilt.

ImageKazuo Ishiguro, in 2015. For decades, memory and the accounting of
memory, its burdens and its reconciliation, have been his subjects. With
“Klara and the Sun,” he has mastered the adjacent theme of obsolescence.
What is it like to inhabit a world whose mores and ideas have passed you by?
Kazuo Ishiguro, in 2015. For decades, memory and the accounting of
memory, its burdens and its reconciliation, have been his subjects. With
“Klara and the Sun,” he has mastered the adjacent theme of obsolescence.
What is it like to inhabit a world whose mores and ideas have passed you
by?Credit...Andrew Testa

“Klara and the Sun” takes place in the uncomfortably near future, and
banal language is redeployed with sinister portent. Elite workers have
been “substituted,” their labor now performed by A.I. Clothing and
houses are described as “high-rank.” Privileged children are “lifted,” a
process meant to optimize them for success. Readers of Ishiguro’s 2005
novel “Never Let Me Go” will viscerally recall the sense of foreboding
all this awakens. If I am being cagey about it, it’s to preserve that
effect. But for the inhabitants of the novel, the older generation of
whom remember the way things were, these conditions have been
normalized, to use the banal language of our own era. Here is Josie’s
father, a former engineer: “Honestly? I think the substitutions were the
best thing that happened to me. … I really believe they helped me to
distinguish what’s important from what isn’t. And where I live now,
there are many fine people who feel exactly the same way.” Through
Klara, we pick up bits of overheard conversation: a mention of
“fascistic leanings” here; a reference to Josie’s mysteriously departed
sister there; the woman outside the playhouse who protests Klara’s
presence: “First they take the jobs. Now they take the seats at the
theater?”

/[ “Klara and the Sun” was one of our most anticipated books of March.
//See the full list/
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/books/march-2021-books.html>/. ]/

For four decades now, Ishiguro has written eloquently about the
balancing act of remembering without succumbing irrevocably to the past.
Memory and the accounting of memory, its burdens and its reconciliation,
have been his subjects. With “Klara and the Sun,” I began to see how he
has mastered the adjacent theme of obsolescence. What is it like to
inhabit a world whose mores and ideas have passed you by? What happens
to the people who must be cast aside in order for others to move
forward? The climax of “The Remains of the Day” (1989), Ishiguro’s
perfect, Booker Prize-winning novel, pivots on a butler’s realization
that his whole life has been wasted in service of a Nazi sympathizer.
(“I gave my best to Lord Darlington. I gave him the very best I had to
give and now — well — I find I do not have a great deal more left to
give.”) A subplot in Ishiguro’s first novel, “A Pale View of Hills”
(1982), involves an older teacher in postwar Nagasaki whose former
student renounces his way of thinking. “I don’t doubt you were sincere
and hard working,” the former student tells him. “I’ve never questioned
that for one moment. But it just so happens that your energies were
spent in a misguided direction, an evil direction.” In “Never Let Me
Go,” clones “complete” after fulfilling their biological purpose. In
“Klara and the Sun,” obsolescence reaches its mass conclusion: Whole
classes of workers have been replaced by machines, which themselves are
subject to replacement. It nearly happens to Klara. In the story’s first
section, a new, improved model of AF arrives and bumps her to the back
of the store.

  * Thanks for reading The Times.

Subscribe to The Times
<https://www.nytimes.com/subscription?campaignId=9YLQH>

/[ //Read the Magazine’s profile of Ishiguro/
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/magazine/kazuo-ishiguro-klara.html>/. ]/

“Klara and the Sun” lands in a pandemic world, in which vaccines hold
the promise of salvation but the reality of thousands of deaths a day
persists, and a substantial portion of the American population deludes
itself into thinking it isn’t happening. Our own children have been
learning on oblongs and in isolation. The crisis of this novel revolves
around whether Josie, with Klara’s help, will recover from her illness —
and whether, if Josie doesn’t recover, her mother, with Klara’s help,
will survive the loss. It turns out that to “lift” her daughter, to
ensure Josie will thrive amid her world’s “savage meritocracies” (I’m
quoting from Ishiguro’s 2017 Nobel lecture
<https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/literature/2017/ishiguro/25124-kazuo-ishiguro-nobel-lecture-2017/>,
an enlightening document as to his state of mind), her mother has
knowingly risked Josie’s health, her happiness, her very life — a
calculation that sounds terrible on paper until one realizes how common
it already is.

    Editors’ Picks

      The Latest Wrinkle in Crumple Theory

<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/science/math-crumple-fragmentation-andrejevic.html?action=click&algo=lda_agg_mean_hellinger&block=editors_picks_recirc&fellback=false&imp_id=810181360&impression_id=4e635710-81e1-11eb-aabd-5b79e052f075&index=0&pgtype=Article&region=ccolumn&req_id=338323187&surface=home-featured&variant=6_lda_agg_mean_hellinger&action=click&module=editorContent&pgtype=Article&region=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending>

      Triangulating Math, Mozart and ‘Moby-Dick’

<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/06/science/math-gresham-sarah-hart.html?action=click&algo=lda_agg_mean_hellinger&block=editors_picks_recirc&fellback=false&imp_id=90284510&impression_id=4e635711-81e1-11eb-aabd-5b79e052f075&index=1&pgtype=Article&region=ccolumn&req_id=338323187&surface=home-featured&variant=6_lda_agg_mean_hellinger&action=click&module=editorContent&pgtype=Article&region=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending>

<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/06/world/europe/flying-ship-cornwall.html?action=click&algo=lda_agg_mean_hellinger&block=editors_picks_recirc&fellback=false&imp_id=810513571&impression_id=4e635712-81e1-11eb-aabd-5b79e052f075&index=2&pgtype=Article&region=ccolumn&req_id=338323187&surface=home-featured&variant=6_lda_agg_mean_hellinger&action=click&module=editorContent&pgtype=Article&region=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending>

      A ‘Flying Ship,’ and the Superior Mirage Behind It
      <https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/06/world/europe/flying-ship-cornwall.html?action=click&algo=lda_agg_mean_hellinger&block=editors_picks_recirc&fellback=false&imp_id=810513571&impression_id=4e635712-81e1-11eb-aabd-5b79e052f075&index=2&pgtype=Article&region=ccolumn&req_id=338323187&surface=home-featured&variant=6_lda_agg_mean_hellinger&action=click&module=editorContent&pgtype=Article&region=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending>ntinue
      reading the main story
      <https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/books/review/klara-and-the-sun-kazuo-ishiguro.html?action=click&module=editorContent&pgtype=Article&region=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending#after-pp_edpick>

Image

Considering the place of “Klara and the Sun” in Ishiguro’s collected
works — which cohere astoundingly well, even “The Unconsoled” (1995),
powered as it is by the dreamlike absorption and reconciliation of
unfamiliar circumstances — I found myself thinking of Thomas Hardy, the
way Hardy’s novels, at the end of the 19th century, captured the growing
schism between the natural world and the industrialized one, the unclean
break that technology makes with the past. Tess Durbeyfield earns her
living as a dairymaid before agricultural mechanization, but she
channels early strains of what Hardy presciently calls “the ache of
modernism.” She represents a mode of being human in nature before
machinery got in the way.

Klara is a man-made marvel. She lacks the fluidity of human mobility
such that to negotiate a gravel driveway is a project of careful
intention. But like the great outdoors, she runs on solar power, and she
ventures deliberately into the natural world at critical points in the
story, communing with the sun to try to help Josie with matters bigger
than either one can comprehend. Klara’s perception, too, is at once
mechanical and deeply subjective. Fields of vision appear in squares and
panels, so that you can imagine (through her eyes) pictures processed
and bitmapped, resolving themselves the way a high-definition image
resolves on a screen, but with a shifting focus that seems tied to her
interpretation of the events and environment around her. Seeing the
world from Klara’s point of view is to be reminded constantly of what it
looks like when mediated through technology. That might have felt
foreign a century ago, but not anymore.

Klara is likable enough — as she was manufactured to be — but it’s hard
to empathize with her on the page, which is maybe the point. The stilted
affect that so often characterizes Ishiguro’s prose and dialogue — an
incantatory flatness that belies its revelatory ability — serves its
literal function. Klara’s machine-ness never recedes. Unlike most of
Ishiguro’s first-person narrators, however, she seems incapable of
deluding herself. Her technological essence presents some childlike
limitations of expression, but are they more pronounced than the limits
born of the human desire to repress, or wallow, or come across better
than we are? “I believe I have many feelings,” Klara says. “The more I
observe, the more feelings become available to me.” This statement had
the peculiar effect, on me anyway, not of persuading me of her humanness
but of causing me to consider whether humans acquire nameable feelings
all that differently from her description. Which is maybe also the point.

In an interview with The Paris Review in 2008, Ishiguro said he thought
of “Never Let Me Go” as his cheerful novel
<https://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/5829/the-art-of-fiction-no-196-kazuo-ishiguro>.
Never mind that it centers on a trio of clones bred specifically to have
their organs harvested. “I wanted to show three people who were
essentially decent,” he said. Klara carries that quietly heroic mantle.
Look at the characters Ishiguro gives voice to: not the human, but the
clone; not the lord, but the servant. “Klara and the Sun” complements
his brilliant vision, though it doesn’t reach the artistic heights of
his past achievements. No moment here touches my heart the way Stevens
does, reflecting on his losses in “The Remains of the Day.” Still, when
Klara says, “I have my memories to go through and place in the right
order,” it strikes the quintessential Ishiguro chord. So what if a
machine says it? There’s no narrative instinct more essential, or more
human.

Radhika Jones is the editor in chief of Vanity Fair and holds a
doctorate in English and comparative literature from Columbia University.

*KLARA AND THE SUN
*By Kazuo Ishiguro
303 pp. Alfred A. Knopf. $28.