[D66] Computers don’t give a damn

R.O. juggoto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 07:29:35 CET 2021

Contemporary philosophy
<https://www.the-tls.co.uk/categories/philosophy/contemporary-philosophy/>|Book
Review

  Computers don’t give a damn

    The improbability of genuine thinking machines

By tim crane
<https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/promise-of-artificial-intelligence-brian-cantwell-smith-book-review/#>
“Archive Dreaming” installation at SALT Galata, Istanbul, by Refik
Anadol, 2017. It uses AI to sort and combine 1.7 million historical
documents
“Archive Dreaming” installation at SALT Galata, Istanbul, by Refik
Anadol, 2017. It uses AI to sort and combine 1.7 million historical
documents© Getty Images
May 15, 2020
Read this issue <https://www.the-tls.co.uk/issues/may-15-2020/>

      In this review

THE PROMISE OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Reckoning and judgment
184pp. MIT Press. £20 (US $24.95).
Brian Cantwell Smith
Buy
<https://shop.the-tls.co.uk/the-promise-of-artificial-intelligence-9780262043045.html?utm_source=tls&utm_medium=mainsite&utm_campaign=review>

In 1965, Herbert Simon, one of the founders of the new science of
Artificial Intelligence (AI), wrote that “machines will be capable,
within twenty years, of doing any work that a man can do”. He was wrong
of course – but maybe his mistake was only a matter of timing.

If Simon were to see what computing machines were capable of, fifty-five
years after he made this remark, surely even he would be amazed. A
single smartphone contains more computing power than all the world’s
computers in 1965 put together. And many of the philosophical arguments
against the possibility of AI from the 1960s and 70s fell flat on their
face as the technology advanced. The philosopher Hubert Dreyfus also
claimed in 1965 that “no chess program can play even amateur chess” –
true at the time, but proved false soon after. When in 1997 the IBM
programme Deep Blue beat the chess champion Garry Kasparov, this
conclusively destroyed the idea that world-class chess was something
computers can’t do; Kasparov has commented recently that “today you can
buy a chess engine for your laptop that will beat Deep Blue quite
easily”. And the familiar claim that computers could never really use
their stored knowledge as well as human beings was shaken in 2011 by
IBM’s Watson programme, which won the top $1 million prize on the
American game show /Jeopardy/, beating the best human competitors.

AI sceptics used to claim that computers would never be able to
recognize human faces or human speech, translate speech into text, or
convert handwriting to printed text. But today’s phones can do all these
things. Dreyfus had made gentle fun of the grand claims of AI, quoting a
fanciful newspaper report from 1968 about “a new idea in gifts … a
genuine (if small) computer, that costs around $20. Battery operated, it
looks like a portable typewriter. But it can be programmed like any big
computer to translate foreign languages, diagnose illnesses, even
provide a weather forecast”. What seemed then like wild science fiction
is now our everyday reality.

So Simon’s claim may have been proved false, but maybe he was only a few
decades out. The achievements of actual AI – that is, the kind of
technology that makes your smartphone work – are incredible. These
achievements have been made possible partly by developments in hardware
(in particular the increased speed and miniaturization of
microprocessors) and partly because of the access to vast amounts of
data on the internet – both factors that neither Simon nor Dreyfus could
have predicted. But it means that enthusiastic predictions for AI are
still popular. Many believe that AI can produce not just the “smart”
devices that already dominate our lives, but genuine thinking machines.
No one says that such machines already exist, of course, but many
philosophers and scientists claim that they are on the horizon.

To get there requires creating what researchers call “Artificial General
Intelligence” (AGI). As opposed to a special-purpose capacity – like
Deep Blue’s capacity to play chess – AGI is the general capacity to
apply intelligence to an unlimited range of problems in the real world:
something like the kind of intelligence we have. The philosopher David
Chalmers has confidently claimed that “artificial general intelligence
is possible … There are a lot of mountains we need to climb before we
get to human-level AGI. That said, I think it’s going to be possible
eventually, say in the 40-to-100-year time frame”. The philosophers John
Basl and Eric Schwitzgebel are even more optimistic, claiming it is
“likely that we will soon have AI approximately as cognitively
sophisticated as mice or dogs”.

The intellectual enthusiasm for the possibility of AGI is matched by the
vast sums invested in trying to make it a reality. In July 2019,
Microsoft announced that it would invest $1 billion in Sam Altman’s
OpenAI, a for-profit company which aims to use AI for the “benefit of
mankind as a whole”. The British company Deep Mind, led by the computer
scientist/neuroscientist Demis Hassabis, was bought by Google for $500
million in 2014. Deep Mind’s best-known achievement to date is the
machine AlphaGo, which in 2016 beat Lee Sedol, world champion of the
ancient game of Go. Go is vastly more complex than chess – it is
sometimes said to be the most complex game ever created – and standard
AI chess-playing methods had never been successfully applied to it. The
computing methods used by AlphaGo are often touted as one of keys to
“solving intelligence”, as Deep Mind’s own publicity puts it.

Brian Cantwell Smith’s new book is a provocative expression of
scepticism about these recent claims on behalf of AI, from a
distinguished practitioner in the field. His overall argument is based
on a distinction between what he calls “reckoning” and “judgment”.
Reckoning is understood here in its original etymological sense: as
calculation, like addition and subtraction. Judgment, by contrast, is
something more. It is described by Smith as “an overarching, systemic
capacity or commitment, involving the whole commitment of the whole
system to the whole world”. Our thinking involves not just some kind of
simple on-off representation of things around us, but an entire
emotional and value-laden involvement with the world itself. Computers
have none of this. As the philosopher John Haugeland (a major influence
on Smith) used to say, “computers don’t give a damn”. Giving a damn is a
precondition of “judgment” in Smith’s sense, and anything that amounted
to a real AGI would need to exercise judgment, and not simply calculate.

/The Promise of Artificial Intelligence /gives a brief and intelligible
survey of two main stages in the history of AI. The first stage,
starting in the 1960s, was what Haugeland christened “Good Old-Fashioned
AI” (GOFAI) which solved computing problems by using explicit
representations of general principles and applying them to particular
situations. (Think of doing a mathematical proof or presenting an
argument in logic.) “Second wave” AI, which started to emerge in the
1980s, began from the opposite end, so to speak: deriving general
conclusions from huge amounts of simple data as input. This kind of
approach, variously called machine learning or deep learning, has had
considerable success at things that GOFAI was very bad at, like pattern
recognition, or updating knowledge on the basis of input.

First wave AI, it was often said, misconceived the nature of thinking:
very little thinking resembles calculating or proving theorems. But
Smith goes further, and argues that “the deeper problem is that it
misconceived the world”. GOFAI assumed that “the world comes chopped up
into discrete objects”, and because of this it analysed reasoning into
its components by using formal logic (the basic ideas of which underlie
modern computing). Smith argues that first wave theorizing assumed that
the world must be structured in the way that logic structures language:
objects correspond to names, properties correspond to predicates or
general terms. Things fit together in the world as symbols fit together
in a logical language. Smith claims that this is one main reason why the
GOFAI project failed: it failed to take account of the “fabulously rich
and messy world we inhabit”, which does not come in a “pre-given” form,
divided up into objects.

Second wave AI, according to Smith, does not make this mistake. It does
not assume a “pre-given” ontology or structure for the world, and for
that reason, he argues, it has made progress in the areas where GOFAI
failed: in particular, with tasks like face recognition, text processing
and (most famously) the game of Go. The distinctive feature of deep
learning machines is their ability to detect patterns in large
(sometimes huge) amounts of data. The machines “learn” by being given an
indication by the programmer of which patterns are the important ones,
and after a while they can produce results (for example, moves in a
game) that surprise even the programmers. This is in contrast to first
wave AI programmes which attempted to anticipate in advance how input
from the real world should be responded to in every conceivable
situation. Those early AI machines that worked only did so in very
constrained made-up environments, sometimes called “microworlds”.

Nonetheless, Smith thinks that we should not be too optimistic about the
ability of second wave AI to create AGI. Machine learning may not start
with general rules which make ontological assumptions, but it does start
with data that is already processed by humans (eg things that we
classify as faces, or as road traffic at an intersection and so on).
Much machine learning, as Smith says, is “dedicated to sorting inputs
into categories of manifest human origin and utility”. So even if they
are more sensitive to the messy world, second wave AI machines are still
tied up with the programmers’ own classifications of reality – indeed,
it is hard to see how they could be otherwise designed.

Smith is surely right that AI’s recent successes give us little or no
reason to believe in the real possibility of genuine thinking machines.
His distinction between reckoning and judgment is an important attempt
to identify what it is that is missing in AI models. In many ways
(despite his protest to the contrary) it echoes the criticisms of
Dreyfus and others, that AI will not succeed in creating genuine
thinking unless it can in some way capture “common sense”. And just as
common sense (part of Smith’s “judgment”) cannot be captured in terms of
the “rules and representations” of GOFAI, nor can it be captured by
massively parallel computing drawing patterns from data.

To make this point about judgment, Smith does not actually need the more
ambitious ontological claims, that the world does not have natural
divisions or boundaries, that all classification is simply a result of
human interest, and so on. Maybe these claims are true, maybe not – for
many centuries philosophy has wrestled with them, and they are worth
debating. But we should not need to debate them in order to identify the
fundamental implausibility of the idea that AGI is on the horizon.

This implausibility derives from something intrinsic to the success of
AI itself. For despite the sophistication of machine learning, the fact
remains that like chess, Go is still a game. It has rules and a clear
outcome which is the target for players. Deep learning machines are
still being used to achieve a well-defined goal – winning the game – the
meaning of which can be articulated in advance of turning on the
machine. The same is true of speech and face recognition software. There
is a clear goal or target – recognizing the words and faces – and
successes and failures in meeting this goal are the input which helps
train the machine. (As Smith says, “recognition” here means: correctly
mapping an image onto a label: nothing more than that.)

But what might be the goal of “general intelligence”? How can we
characterize in abstract terms the problems that general intelligence is
trying to solve? I think it’s fair to say that no one – in AI, or
philosophy, or psychology – has any idea how to answer this question.
Arguably, this is not because it is an exceptionally difficult empirical
question, but rather that it is not obviously a sensible one. I suppose
someone might say, in the spirit of Herbert Simon (whose famous AI
programme was called the “General Problem Solver”), that general
intelligence is the general ability to solve cognitive problems. This
might seem fine until we ask ourselves how we should identify, in
general terms, the cognitive problems that we use our intelligence to
solve. How can we say, in general terms, what these problems are?

Consider for example, the challenges faced in trying to create a genuine
conversation with a computer. Voice assistants like Siri and Alexa do
amazingly well in “recognizing” speech and synthesizing speech in
response. But you very quickly get to the bottom of their resources and
reach a “canned” response (“here are some webpages relating to your
inquiry”). One reason for this, surely, is that conversation is not an
activity that has one easily expressible goal, and so the task for the
Siri/Alexa programme cannot be specified in advance. If the goal of
conversation were to find information about a subject matter, then
directing you to a website with relevant information could be one
reliable way of achieving that goal. But of course this is not the sole
thing to which we direct our intelligence when talking with others.

What, then, is the overall goal of conversation? There isn’t one. We
talk to pass the time, to express our emotions, feelings and desires, to
find out more about others, to have fun, to be polite, to educate
others, to make money … and so on. But if there is no single goal of
conversation, then it is even less likely that there is one goal of
“general intelligence”. So no wonder AI researchers struggle to even
define the “task domain” for AGI.

As Smith’s book shows, the claims for the possibility of AGI ignore the
huge differences between the relatively well-defined areas where AI has
succeeded, and the barely defined domain of “general intelligence”. This
is, on its own, enough of a reason for scepticism about extrapolating
beyond the spectacular successes of actual AI to the real possibility of
AGI. Smith’s arguments about the ontological assumptions of AI, whatever
their merits, are not necessary to make this point.

Yet I suspect that many still have this lingering sense that AGI must be
possible, and that the difference between real human thinking and what
computers do is just a matter of complexity. What lies behind this
conviction? One widespread idea is that since the human brain is just a
complex biological (and therefore material) machine, it must be possible
in principle to artificially reproduce what the human brain does
(thinking, perceiving, feeling, imagining, being conscious, etc) by
building something that functions in exactly the same way as the brain.
And whatever we thereby build will be an artificial version of our
mental processes: an AGI.

This argument is based on two ideas: first, that thinking and other
mental processes go on in the brain; second, the brain is a machine or
mechanism. So if we can uncover the principles that make this mechanism
work, and we have adequate technology – the argument goes – then we
should be able to build a machine that implements these principles,
without leaving anything out. One of the pioneers of deep learning,
Yoshua Benigo, puts it this way: “I don’t know how much time it’s going
to take, but the human brain is a machine. It’s a very complex one and
we don’t fully understand it, but there’s no reason to believe that we
won’t be able to figure out those principles”.

Of course building an artificial copy of a real brain is nowhere close
to today’s scientific reality. But if we believe that we are at bottom
material beings – if we take away all our matter then there is nothing
left of us – then such replication seems possible in principle, even if
it is never actually realized. Suppose, then, a brilliant scientist of
the future could replicate in an artificial construction everything a
person (and their brain) does. Obviously this replica would also be able
to think, since thinking is one of the things a person does. It is
undeniable that making an artificial replica of a person and all their
features would be making an “artificial intelligence” in an an obvious
sense: simply because intelligence is one of the features of people.

The question is, what does this have to do with AI? If the way to create
a real artificial thinker is to find out first how the brain works, then
you would expect AI researchers to try and figure out how the brain or
the mind actually works – that is, to become neuroscientists or
psychologists. But this is not how AI researchers operate. Just as the
invention of the aeroplane did not require building something that flies
in exactly the way a bird flies, so the inventors of AI did not feel
bound to copy the actual workings of human brains. And despite the fact
that deep learning computers use what are called “neural networks”, the
similarity to the brain here is at a very abstract level. Indeed, many
pioneers of deep learning occupy themselves with very abstract questions
about general intelligence – Benigo says his goal is “to understand the
general principles of intelligence” – rather than with the messy
business of the actual working of the human mind or brain.

This lack of focus on the way human minds (or brains) actually function
goes back to the beginnings of AI, and it was clearly one of AI’s
strengths. By ignoring the complexity of actual human thinking, and the
messy “wetware” of the actual human brain, AI could get machines to
solve difficult problems without having to bother with how we would
solve them. Watson, the IBM website tells us, “is not bound by volume or
memory. Watson can read millions of unstructured documents in seconds”.
That’s not something we can do. The learning involved in training
AlphaGo involved millions of practice games of Go – as the cognitive
scientist and deep learning sceptic Gary Marcus has pointed out, this is
“far more than a human would require to become world class at Go”. This
means that whatever it explains about their success, it is not the
similarity of these machines to human thinkers. So IBM should not claim
that Watson is “built to mirror the same learning process that we have,
a common cognitive framework that humans use to inform their decisions”.

Actual AI does not rely substantially on any detailed psychological or
neuroscientific research. So the fact that the brain is a material
mechanism which could, in principle, be replicated artificially gives no
support to the idea that AI as it actually is could build an AGI. In
fact, given the way AI has actually proceeded, in splendid isolation
from neuroscience, it is likely that any attempt to replicate the brain
would require ideas very different from those traditionally used by AI.
To say this is not to disparage AI and its achievements; it is just to
emphasize the obvious fact that it is not, and has never been, a theory
of human thinking.

Philosophical and scientific discussions of AI have tended towards one
of two extremes: either that genuine artificial thinking machines are
just on the horizon, or they are absolutely impossible in principle.
Neither approach is quite right. On the one hand, as Smith, Marcus and
others have explained, we should be sceptical that recent advances in AI
give any support to the real possibility of AGI. But on the other, it is
hard to deny the abstract philosophical claim that if you could
replicate a human brain in such a way that would produce something that
did everything the brain did, then that thing would be a “thinking
machine” in one clear sense of that phrase. However, this mere
possibility does not mean that today’s AI is anywhere near creating
genuine thinking machines. On the contrary: when you examine the
possibility more closely, it shows why AI is unlikely ever to do this.

/*Tim Crane* is Professor of Philosophy at the Central European
University and Philosophy editor of the /TLS/. The third edition of his
book /The Mechanical Mind/was published in 2015/