[D66] NYRB: Changing Psychiatry’s Mind

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Jan 6 06:39:47 CET 2021

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2021/01/14/changing-psychiatrys-mind/

  Changing Psychiatry’s Mind

Gavin Francis <https://www.nybooks.com/contributors/gavin-francis/>
Two books investigate the science and pseudoscience of diagnosing mental
illness.

January 14, 2021 issue <https://www.nybooks.com/issues/2021/01/14/>

<https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nybooks.com%2Farticles%2F2021%2F01%2F14%2Fchanging-psychiatrys-mind%2F>

<https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nybooks.com%2Farticles%2F2021%2F01%2F14%2Fchanging-psychiatrys-mind%2F>
<https://twitter.com/share?text=Changing%20Psychiatry%E2%80%99s%20Mind&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nybooks.com%2Farticles%2F2021%2F01%2F14%2Fchanging-psychiatrys-mind%2F&via=nybooks><mailto:?subject=Changing
Psychiatry’s Mind by Gavin Francis&body=From The New York Review of
Books%0D%0A%0D%0AChanging Psychiatry’s Mind%0D%0ATwo books investigate
the science and pseudoscience of diagnosing mental
illness.%0D%0A%0D%0Ahttps://www.nybooks.com/articles/2021/01/14/changing-psychiatrys-mind/%3Futm_source%3Dnybooks%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Demail-share><mailto:?subject=Changing
Psychiatry’s Mind by Gavin Francis&body=From The New York Review of
Books%0D%0A%0D%0AChanging Psychiatry’s Mind%0D%0ATwo books investigate
the science and pseudoscience of diagnosing mental
illness.%0D%0A%0D%0Ahttps://www.nybooks.com/articles/2021/01/14/changing-psychiatrys-mind/%3Futm_source%3Dnybooks%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Demail-share>
<https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2021/01/14/changing-psychiatrys-mind/?printpage=true><https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2021/01/14/changing-psychiatrys-mind/?printpage=true><https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2021/01/14/changing-psychiatrys-mind/?printpage=true>

<https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2021/01/14/changing-psychiatrys-mind/?printpage=true>

Submit a letter:

Email us letters at nybooks.com <mailto:letters at nybooks.com>

Reviewed:

Mind Fixers: Psychiatry’s Troubled Search for the Biology of Mental
Illness <https://www.bookshop.org/a/312/9780393358063>

by Anne Harrington
Norton, 366 pp., $27.95; $17.95 (paper)

This Book Will Change Your Mind About Mental Health: A Journey into the
Heartland of Psychiatry <https://www.bookshop.org/a/312/9780571345977>

by Nathan Filer
London: Faber and Faber, 248 pp., £9.99 (paper)

Diagram of the cerebellum by Santiago Ramón y Cajal, 1894
<https://cdn.nybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/francis_1-011421.jpg>

Instituto de Neurobiología Ramón y Cajal, Madrid

Diagram of the cerebellum by Santiago Ramón y Cajal, 1894. Cajal’s
drawings are collected in /The Beautiful Brain/, edited by Eric A.
Newman, Alfonso Araque, and Janet M. Dubinsky and published by Abrams in
2017. For more on Cajal, see Gavin Francis’s essay ‘In the Flower Garden
of the Brain’ at nybooks.com/cajal.

Twenty-five years ago, at the end of my two-month rotation in
psychiatry, Edinburgh Medical School delivered the results of our
student assessments by posting three lists of names on a departmental
notice board. It was a nerve-racking experience for all of us, who would
learn of having passed or failed in full view of our peers.

A crowd gathered around the board, and one by one my classmates found
their names on the pass list—or, even better, on the shorter list of
those who passed “with distinction”—then cheered and went off to
celebrate at the bar. But as I strained toward the lists I felt a ball
of tension in my gut; I was a good student, had excelled in a few
specialties so far, but couldn’t see my name. Then, /there it
was—/unmistakably, on the dreaded third list of those who had failed. I
felt a tap on my shoulder, someone pointed up at the distinguished
students: /there it was again./ The test had combined a written exam and
an appraisal of clinical competence; it seemed one of my assessing
psychiatrists had deemed me a star student, the other, a failure. I
reported upstairs for what turned out to be an awkward interview, the
outcome of which was that both assessments had been wrong: I was an
average student after all, neither struggling nor distinguished. I was
left wondering if I’d make a good psychiatrist, an abysmal one, or both.

That experience was unique in my medical training: in no other specialty
was there such confusion over what separates success from failure. If
the psychiatrists couldn’t agree on the assessment of student
performance, I wondered how much they’d agree on their assessments of
patients. A thorny subject, perennially controversial, because mental
health diagnoses have such power—to save lives, or ruin them. It’s a
difficulty that Anne Harrington, a professor of the history of science
at Harvard, tackles masterfully in /Mind Fixers: Psychiatry’s Troubled
Search for the Biology of Mental Illness/,//which she divides into a
history of how psychiatry has approached, characterized, treated, and
maltreated mental illness since the 1850s (“Doctors’ Stories”); a
section on depression, schizophrenia, and manic depression as the three
most illustrative disorders (“Disease Stories”); and finally suggestions
for the future of psychiatry, with an argument that a fundamental
reappraisal is needed (“Unfinished Stories”).

I work now as a primary care physician in Edinburgh; approximately a
third of my consultations concern mental health, and every day brings
first-hand examples of just how variable the manifestations of mental
illness can be, and how mutable its diagnostic labels. There are
patients of mine who’ve had four or five different diagnoses since their
career in the care of psychiatric services began, even though their core
symptoms (and distress) have hardly changed. Most people who have lived
a few decades with severe mental illness have seen their own label
evolve, simply because the way their symptoms are characterized by
psychiatrists has evolved. This is true as much for “major” psychiatric
conditions, such as paranoid psychosis and psychotic depression, as it
is for conditions habitually thought of as existing along a spectrum
that reaches normality (whatever that is), such as autism or
attention-deficit disorder.

Continue reading
for just $1 an issue.

Choose a Digital subscription or our best deal—All Access—that includes
print and digital issues, full archive access, and the NYR App!