[D66] Prophylaxis vs Promiscuous

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Tue May 19 08:22:41 CEST 2020

  In Praise of the Prophylactic

By
cultureandcommunication.org
3 min
View Original
<https://getpocket.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcultureandcommunication.org%2Fgalloway%2Fin-praise-of-the-prophylactic%23more-1949>

/Prophylaxis is on everyone's mind these days. Oh what a reversal from
only a few months ago, when the decades long march of promiscuous
ontologies seemed unstoppable. Are freedom and mobility unquestionable
virtues? Should everything touch everything else? Until recently the
answer was an unmitigated YES. The Spinozians spoke of flat ontologies.
The network scientists devised rhizomatic mesh networks. Artists were
obsessed with interactivity and social engagement. The social scientists
were writing on mobility and mixing. It seems that anything, at any
time, and for any reason, could conceivably interact with anything else.
But today the scene has reversed, and prophylaxis is the order of the
day. The masks worn by Pussy Riot or Anonymous are an eerie
foreshadowing of N95 protective gear. Édouard Glissant's notion of
"opacity" is popular in theoretical circles. Even in digital systems,
scientists speak approvingly of "obfuscation," and proprietary platforms
have superseded open protocols. In my last book I framed this in terms
of promiscuous ontologies and prophylactic ontologies, with Deleuze
being the archetype of the promiscuous and Laruelle the prophylactic.
I'm excerpting a footnote here that discusses the liberal nature of the
promiscuous, as opposed to the radical nature of the prophylactic./

/
/

/[...]
/