[D66] Endgame - Derrick Jensen

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Fri Jul 31 08:02:55 CEST 2020

  Endgame

Purchase <https://derrickjensen.org/purchase#endgame>

Hailed as the philosopher poet of the ecological movement, best-selling
author Derrick Jensen returns with a passionate forecast of how
industrial civilization, and the persistent and widespread violence it
requires, is unsustainable. Jensen’s intricate weaving together of
history, philosophy, environmentalism, economics, literature and
psychology has produced a powerful argument that demands attention in
the tradition of such important books as Herbert Marcuse’s Eros and
Civilization and Brigid Brophy’s Black Ship to Hell.

In Volume I: The Problem of Civilization, Jensen lays out a series of
provocative premises, including “Civilization is not and can never be
sustainable” and “Love does not imply pacifism.” He vividly imagines an
end to technologized, industrialized civilization and a return to
agragrian communal life.

If Volume I lays an insightful framework for envisioning a sustainable
way of life, Volume II: Resistance catapults this discussion into a
passionate call for action. Using his premises as guidelines for
exploring real-world problems, Jensen guides us toward concrete
solutions by focusing on our most primal human desire: to live on a
healthy earth overflowing with uncut forests, clean rivers, and thriving
oceans that are not under the constant threat of being destroyed.

    Praise

“‘At the risk of sounding ridiculous,’ Che Guevarra once and rather
famously declaimed, ‘let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by
feelings of great love.’ To my mind, he might well have been describing
Derrick Jensen. No other writer has so clearly and consistently captured
the essense of Guevarra’s intent, illuminating it in ways of which Che
himself never dreamed. That /Endgame/ embodies Jensen’s finest work to
date says all that needs saying about why it simply MUST be read.”
—*Ward Churchill*, author of /Since Predator Came/ and /Struggle for the
Land/

“Derrick Jensen is a rare and original voice of sanity in a chaotic
world. He has wisdom and wit, grace and style, and is a wonderful guide
to a good life beautifully lived.”
—*Howard Zinn*

“Derrick Jensen is a force for the common good. His books are mandatory
reading in the study of culture and social change. Derrick Jensen is a
contemporary philosopher with his feet firmly on the ground.”
—*Terry Tempest Williams*, author of /The Open Space of Democracy/

Show more praise

https://derrickjensen.org/endgame/